PDA

View Full Version : 375 H&H Opinions

Pages : 1 [2] 3

bootsmcguire
12-01-2022, 01:58 AM
Thanks BobT, I bought the Hornady 250 CX bullets at the time just because they were about all I could find that were available. I may keep those 270's in mind for the future, I see they are available a few spots and may be a good choice depending on how these CX's do. Knowing my luck I won't get a good chance to give 'em a good test. In the past when I have setup a rifle or shotgun with distance in mind I always seem to get deer at like 30yds and never get a good chance to find out how they will perform at a bit further out lol.

charlie b
12-01-2022, 08:39 AM
...In the past when I have setup a rifle or shotgun with distance in mind I always seem to get deer at like 30yds and never get a good chance to find out how they will perform at a bit further out lol.

LOL I bought a rifle specifically for deer hunting when I moved back east. 7mm-08. Loaded for it, tested out to 400yd. Hunted three seasons there and never had a shot over 50yd. Last season I hunted with my .357mag pistol. The deer I got was about 10 steps from me.

bootsmcguire
12-01-2022, 09:54 PM
LOL I bought a rifle specifically for deer hunting when I moved back east. 7mm-08. Loaded for it, tested out to 400yd. Hunted three seasons there and never had a shot over 50yd. Last season I hunted with my .357mag pistol. The deer I got was about 10 steps from me.

Always the way it goes, I go hunting with a close range firearm and they are 300yds, I go with a distance rifle and they brush the end of my barrel as they walk by LMAO.

Ernest T
12-03-2022, 11:08 PM

A guy I worked with shot a deer in very similar circumstances. He parked his van and had the back doors open gathering his gear to head to the deer stand. He turned around and there was a deer standing broadside to him about 20 feet away. He was carrying a .357 and pulled it out and shot the deer. He claimed it was so close it had powder burns on it.

charlie b
12-05-2022, 09:45 AM
LOL, yep I believe it.

Slowpoke Slim
12-07-2022, 08:24 AM
I hunted elk in AZ for many years, and one of my "elk rifles" was my 375 H&H. It killed like "The Fist of God". I also hunted elk with my 338 Win Mag, same thing "Fist of God". With the 338 being 2 pounds lighter in weight, I carried it more than the 375, and it killed just as quickly.

Anyway, both of my "elk rifles" were Winchester M70's. The 375 showed a strong preference for heavy for caliber bullets. My primary hunting bullet was the 300 gr Nosler partition. My practice and fun gun bullet was the 270 gr Hornady spire point. I think I killed 2 elk (300 gr) and 1 deer (270 gr) and never recovered a bullet.

On load development and sight in, once I had a load "figured out" for the purpose (elk or fun) I never shot it from the bench again. I would never use a lead sled, as they are rifle busters and stock breakers. I would use a sturdy front rest, and a rear bag filled with lead shot to rest the buttstock on. If I was on an extended shooting session and the recoil was bothering me, I would lay a bag of led shot between the buttstock and my shoulder. I never let anyone shoot it from the rest, I always made them stand up (lots of shooters wanted to "try it" when they found out what it was).

charlie b
12-07-2022, 10:05 AM
Knew a lot of folks out here who hunt elk with rifles like .300WM and bigger. I always stuck with a .30-06 or 7mm-08. Later on I went to muzzle loaders (.45 and .50 round ball). Never failed to stop them with a proper shot. All were shot at less than 200yd and most less than 100yd.

big honkin jeep
12-08-2022, 09:09 AM
Double post

big honkin jeep
12-08-2022, 09:12 AM
It sounds like you've got it shooting pretty well.
I would think any whitetailed deer would be quite tender if taken with a 375H&H. Might be perfect for consumption through a straw after getting your teeth rattled. LOL Your local sporting goods store may have some football mouth guards that may be helpful along with that that brake. :) ( Just a humorous attempt at saying " That's a whole lotta gun)

Dave Hoback
12-08-2022, 09:06 PM
Knew a lot of folks out here who hunt elk with rifles like .300WM and bigger. I always stuck with a .30-06 or 7mm-08. Later on I went to muzzle loaders (.45 and .50 round ball). Never failed to stop them with a proper shot. All were shot at less than 200yd and most less than 100yd.

It’s only the United States that feels a Magnum is needed for anything bigger than a Coues Whitetail! Europeans have been dropping very large game with standard 6.5mm & 7mm cartridges for many, many decades!

bootsmcguire
12-08-2022, 10:57 PM
She is a whole lotta gun, and certainly overkill for what I need it to do. However even if I hit it in the hoof the shock wave from that thing should still knock em clean over LMAO.

Honestly I would be quite content using my 308, 243, or 6-06 every day of the week for whitetails, but unfortunately our DNR does not feel those cartridges are appropriate. So I went with the 375 H&H because 1) of the legal bottleneck cartridges it had the most available parts and components at the time I started the build. 2)I just always kind of wanted to try a 375 as I have mostly favored the smaller bores for a given task. And 3) because I know that the whole reason for the cartridge restrictions away from things like 243 and 308 etc. is to try and limit the range of the hunter and I just don't like it. So going with the 375 and a load that is similar to a 30-06 flight path with at least twice the energy at most given distances it was kind of like a big FU to the establishment while still 100% playing by their rules. MuHuHAHAHAHAHAHA

charlie b
12-09-2022, 08:53 AM
....So going with the 375 and a load that is similar to a 30-06 flight path with at least twice the energy at most given distances it was kind of like a big FU to the establishment while still 100% playing by their rules. MuHuHAHAHAHAHAHA

Now that's an excellent reason for the cartridge!!

I have to say I have always thought about the idea of a .300H&H in a Mauser action custom rifle. Never could afford it, but, it is just a combination that I loved to think about. I also wanted a pre-WWII Mauser in 7x57. Another pocketbook issue :)

Dave Hoback
12-09-2022, 10:44 AM
She is a whole lotta gun, and certainly overkill for what I need it to do. However even if I hit it in the hoof the shock wave from that thing should still knock em clean over LMAO.

Honestly I would be quite content using my 308, 243, or 6-06 every day of the week for whitetails, but unfortunately our DNR does not feel those cartridges are appropriate. So I went with the 375 H&H because 1) of the legal bottleneck cartridges it had the most available parts and components at the time I started the build. 2)I just always kind of wanted to try a 375 as I have mostly favored the smaller bores for a given task. And 3) because I know that the whole reason for the cartridge restrictions away from things like 243 and 308 etc. is to try and limit the range of the hunter and I just don't like it. So going with the 375 and a load that is similar to a 30-06 flight path with at least twice the energy at most given distances it was kind of like a big FU to the establishment while still 100% playing by their rules. MuHuHAHAHAHAHAHA

Now that last one is about good a reason to have for using it;)

Slowpoke Slim
12-10-2022, 01:15 PM
Reminds me a an old low budget John Candy movie, can't remember the name, he's a security guard, climax of the movie has him pick up this overly large pistol and say something like, "This is an 88 Magnum. It's only legal in 2 states... and this isn't one of them. (VOLUNTARILY EDITED TO APPEASE THE SENSITIVE)."

bootsmcguire
12-10-2022, 08:34 PM
Reminds me a an old low budget John Candy movie, can't remember the name, he's a security guard, climax of the movie has him pick up this overly large pistol and say something like, "This is an 88 Magnum. It's only legal in 2 states... and this isn't one of them. It goes through schools."

You are thinking of "Armed and Dangerous".

Dave Hoback
12-10-2022, 11:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl17yr2VWQg

GrenGuy
12-11-2022, 07:47 AM
Deleted

Dave Hoback
12-11-2022, 09:45 AM
Delete

Slowpoke Slim
12-11-2022, 10:44 AM
Ah jeeze guys, I was just recalling something humorous from years ago. Didn't mean to start some big controversy. From another movie that John Candy was in, "Lighten up Francis".

GrenGuy
12-11-2022, 10:50 AM
Deleated