PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 PRC or 6 MM Creedmoor?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Ernest T
03-09-2023, 10:55 AM
Well, life happens and plans change. I have a pretty extensive antique tool collection, mostly Stanley tools from the late 1800s to early 1900s. I was going to give them to my kids now, instead of them having to sort it out when I'm gone, and none of them expressed any interest in them. Then I tried to donate them to our local county museum and they also said no thanks So off to E-bay they go. I'm keeping about 20 of them which I still use regularly. The first week, I sold 18 of approximately 200 and already have enough to buy the Savage Desert 110 Tactical in 6 mm. I figure I'll make enough next week to buy the Arken EP 5 for it. I still want a Bergara Premier Competition or Masterpiece arms so maybe I'll look at them in 6.5 PRC.

Dave Hoback
03-09-2023, 01:39 PM
Yes, we sometimes hold onto things from the past that we believe are so incredibly valuable. And perhaps they are to a small number of people. Unfortunately that puts these items into a niche market. Which are very difficult to negotiate. A component is only worth what a person is willing to pay for it. To the rest of us, many items are worthless.

To a non-collector, a possession is worth only its use. I’ve had this debate with many, as I’m not a collector. Modern components are simply better than those from yester-year. Like many other tales of folklore, the opposite has been preached. But the very truth is, our manufacturing abilities today far exceed those of the past; and I’m not just speaking of quantity, but also quality. Steel, Aluminum, Composites, Ceramics are all made better today. These materials manufactured today are cleaner, stronger & far better wearing and corrosion prohibitive. That once again, old saying “they don’t make them like they used to!”, which may have had some merit during the 80’s & 90’s, is no longer a true statement.

I do wish you best of luck in your selling my friend. As I said, niche markets, which will always be part of our society.

charlie b
03-10-2023, 12:38 AM
That only applies if the new mfg products use all that modern stuff. Most do not. Electric tools have a lot of plastic these days. Stamped metal or cheap castings are also common.

I have a brace and bit set and a hand drill that was my grandfather's, close to 100yrs old. They still sharpen to a good edge and work as well as when new. In my life I have gone through 6 or 7 electric drills. Several of those the metal gears gave out (MIM, not high tech). Others the plastic wore out enough to let the (cheap) bearings float. Most of those were not the cheap variety of tool. You have to spend a small fortune to get good lifetime quality tools these days.

I will say that the new steels/alloys used for the cutting tips are better, but, that's the only place they are used.

Forgot. Dave, you are a great example of old school. You make things without a multi-thousand dollar CNC setup. These old tools are the same thing. Yes, a $10,000 surface planer and sander does work faster, but, who can afford such equipment. And then there is the reason I use them. I like the feel.