PDA

View Full Version : Have the itch for a 35 rem..

Pages : 1 [2]

Dave Hoback
12-23-2022, 12:27 PM
I too am here in Iowa and stuck with the laws, which is why I built my 375 H&H lol. I had a 350 Legend in an AR when they first came out. Bought winchester deer season 150gr loads for it and accuracy was decent enough so I was ready to hunt or so I thought. Save y'all the story, but after a few seasons of hunting with guys that all have Legends the one discovery I hade was if you want the Legend to perform you've got to run 170+ gr loads. The 150s for whatever reason just don't drop deer. All of the guys that ran 150s had issues, the guys that ran the factory 180s had almost all DRT kills. Needless to say they all run 180s now. Me I went back to my 444 Marlin and now to my 375.

That being said, I too looked at the 35 Rem but mostly for me as a Lever gun. Still haven't pulled that trigger, and maybe never will. As for a build on a Savage, I'd try a 473 bolt head and add the .140" detent ball under it's extractor to stiffen it up. I'd look for a donor with a Centerfeed type magazine. I would think that a 308 size mag would work. As for a barrel I 2nd giving Jim at Northland a call and see if you can get a barrel from him from Criterion. I have had a couple and they are good stuff.

Boots, the 150gr has issues because of the bullet’s Sectional Density. (Or lack of). The bullet’s surface area is too great for the weight driving it. They just lack penetration.

Fuj’, if you read from the beginning 358 Win was the first mentioned. And imo, it’s the best option. However, it is lacking in the way of factory loaded ammunition, although there are a few. And the OP pointed out he has no interest in reloading. Even though reloading will undoubtedly increase one’s marksmanship, consistency (and therefore accuracy), and overall knowledge. Not just of ammunition, but greater knowledge of firearms in general. And it’s such an enjoyable pastime. :eagerness:

Sh40674
12-23-2022, 01:41 PM
I would love to reload but honestly between working the off shift and raising 2 little ones it's not in my future right now. I barely have time to build my arrows lol

And Dave, yes the laws suck. I'm on the fence whether they should open it up to more calibers from a safety standpoint. I've almost been hit twice, the 2nd time from a stray from a distance (can confirm as I heard it hit the tree THEN heard the shot��). Lots of open ground and stupid people that fill it.

For those suggesting under a .35 caliber, iowa requires .35 or larger caliber. Otherwise they'd be shooting a 7mm/08 and the discussion would be over lol.

And I'd be open to the .350 with a larger load but honestly I think previous experience has ruined it for me. All of our deer were with the 150 except the 1 with the 170 hornady, which did die within an absolutely acceptable distance but again, no blood. Which again bothers me for youth season and all the greenage.

Side question on the detent ball .. my 358 once in a while fails to extract a spent shell. Would sizing up this ball possibly help? It will pull it out the 2nd time but it's happened 2 or 3 times in about 50 rds

Dave Hoback
12-23-2022, 03:08 PM
Yes! Going to the larger extractor ball is always a good thing. To me it’s a necessity. Either a 9/64” or 3.5mm bearing ball. I like the complete Kinneys or other “Improved” Extractor kit. They use the larger bearing ball, heavier springs and improved Extractor & Ejector. Worth the $25.

Robinhood
12-23-2022, 08:41 PM
Shilen. They have both chambers, 35 Rem and 358 Win. Blued barrel $411.00 for any contour I think. The good thing about getting him 358 Win, is that you can use the same ammo.

bootsmcguire
12-23-2022, 08:43 PM
Boots, the 150gr has issues because of the bullet’s Sectional Density. (Or lack of). The bullet’s surface area is too great for the weight driving it. They just lack penetration.

Dave you hit the nail on the head. SD most certainly plays a part there and is likely the culprit. With that small case I played the velocity game and obviously lost. Lessons learned, my buddy talked me out of my upper for his step son so I will likely get another this coming year, probably more to play with or the occasional back yard varmint and mostly because I have a bunch of reloading supplies for it and it will just be fun to mess around with.

Side question on the detent ball .. my 358 once in a while fails to extract a spent shell. Would sizing up this ball possibly help? It will pull it out the 2nd time but it's happened 2 or 3 times in about 50 rds

The larger .140" ball should certainly help with that. Somewhere I have a stash of those and would be glad to send you a couple if you like, just PM me. If you want to buy some for yourself this is where I get them. very reputable company and fast shipping.
Here is a link:

9529K36 (https://www.mcmaster.com/9529K36)

Sh40674
12-23-2022, 10:07 PM
Dave you hit the nail on the head. SD most certainly plays a part there and is likely the culprit. With that small case I played the velocity game and obviously lost. Lessons learned, my buddy talked me out of my upper for his step son so I will likely get another this coming year, probably more to play with or the occasional back yard varmint and mostly because I have a bunch of reloading supplies for it and it will just be fun to mess around with.

The larger .140" ball should certainly help with that. Somewhere I have a stash of those and would be glad to send you a couple if you like, just PM me. If you want to buy some for yourself this is where I get them. very reputable company and fast shipping.
Here is a link:

9529K36 (https://www.mcmaster.com/9529K36)

Appreciate the offer! I'll let you keep them, I have to order some stuff anyways, but that's very kind!

Thank you all for your help! Looks like this project is a definite go... I actually had a guy I know from way back message me and ask if anyone was looking for a cheap savage in 243. Guess when the stars align you should go for it:cool:

Sh40674
12-23-2022, 10:08 PM
Yes! Going to the larger extractor ball is always a good thing. To me it’s a necessity. Either a 9/64” or 3.5mm bearing ball. I like the complete Kinneys or other “Improved” Extractor kit. They use the larger bearing ball, heavier springs and improved Extractor & Ejector. Worth the $25.

I will look into those!

bootsmcguire
12-25-2022, 01:47 AM
Appreciate the offer! I'll let you keep them, I have to order some stuff anyways, but that's very kind!

We are all here to help each other out.

Thank you all for your help! Looks like this project is a definite go... I actually had a guy I know from way back message me and ask if anyone was looking for a cheap savage in 243. Guess when the stars align you should go for it:cool:

Be it a 35 Rem or another future project, never want to turn away a cheap Savage when presented. Feel free to keep us up to speed on how the project progresses.

Sh40674
12-26-2022, 10:26 PM
Well, scored this 243, I believe around 2007,with the nikon prostaff 4-12, 92 rounds of ammo, and a factory laminated stock (were these stocks produced by savage?)
Got it all for 400, thought a great deal considering a buddy already claimed the ammo for 85 bucks
It's left hand, so I'll be swapping my 358 barrel over to this one and using my previous reciever for the 35 rem.8986

Dave Hoback
12-26-2022, 10:54 PM
Excellent deal for sure! Great buy:eagerness: I don’t know if Savage produced those laminate stocks. It’s more likely they outsourced the stocks as that’s always been pretty popular by manufacturers. I had a model 116 “Weather Warrior” made a little before yours, as it was Non-Accutrigger & Flat back. But it had the same style laminated stock but it was Grey. And the barreled Action was Stainless. What a beautiful piece it was. To this day I can still say I was so attracted to that Grey Laminate. Yours, in the brown-ish laminate is also quite beautiful. Put a good bedding on that stock & it’s a keeper. Great buy my friend!

Sh40674
12-30-2022, 11:08 AM
I'm happy! Only downside is this is a blind magazine... fine with me though as it looks more "classic" (I prefer a box mag but blind mags have that classy look).

bootsmcguire
12-31-2022, 11:34 PM
I'm happy! Only downside is this is a blind magazine... fine with me though as it looks more "classic" (I prefer a box mag but blind mags have that classy look).

Honestly for hunting I have never needed more rounds than what the blind mag can offer, and I like the peace of mind of not loosing the mag when thrown over my shoulder on a sling due to a branch or twig releasing the mag as I have had it happen.

Dave Hoback
01-01-2023, 12:05 AM
Honestly for hunting I have never needed more rounds than what the blind mag can offer, and I like the peace of mind of not loosing the mag when thrown over my shoulder on a sling due to a branch or twig releasing the mag as I have had it happen.

“Oh No! Not the Dreaded twig or branch! So diabolically zeroing in on the Mag Release!” Just like those scandalous twigs & branches that can depress a trigger on a striker fire pistol while carrying with them chambered! LOL!:biggrin-new::biggrin-new:

I want to meat an actual person this has happened to… Seriously.. the infamous “Twig & Branch”story has been around for a long time! C’mon… you all know what I'm talking about. I remember being a kid and thinking this. Don’t even remember hearing it from anyone.

bootsmcguire
01-01-2023, 12:22 AM
I want to meat an actual person this has happened to…

C'mon over and shake my hand LOL! Send venison loin steaks for the meat. Lol j/k, I had to.

Walking in about 500 yards to my deer stand about 10 years back. Got to the stand and checked the rifle and mag was MIA. Luckily had a spare with me. Was a morning hunt so went in in the dark. Coming back out found it laying on the ground right under the only brushy area I had to cross. I dunno, maybe the latch didn't catch and it rode with me until there, but seemed awfully coincidental that that's where it fell out.

On another side note I had a chunk of pine needle settle in between the sear and trigger on an older 3-screw causing the rifle to fire on close. Took it home and disassembled and found the pine needle stuck between them. Coincidence perhaps, but had never had that issue before or since..... :confused:

Anywho I know what you mean and it is somewhat comical to think about as it is so unlikely, but I dunno, for me the DBM just isn't terribly important.

Dave Hoback
01-01-2023, 12:45 AM
Man! Crazy… Like I said, I just remember always having that “fear” when I first started carrying as a kid. I mean, I was 21, but my son just turned 23, so that’s KID to me now. Course I got over that as I realized about impossible on a firearm with a 5-6lb trigger. But mag release is quite a bit lighter, so I can see it. Now the pine needle sounds more feasible. I can definitely see that.

But then, I’m not able to hunt any longer. Sad to say.