PDA

View Full Version : #12 vlp 308 ??

Pages : 1 [2]

Dave Hoback
12-30-2022, 12:19 AM
If you really look for a used rifle at a pawn shop or somebody here for way less than 600 for a reciever. You can get a decent used .308 barrel on here or elswhere. I look for newer used rifles with the modern trigger and I put them together in a stock of my choice or get one from boyds,put pillars in it and bed it.

Yeah, that’s originally what I meant. I was comparing to what the OP had already done with his Model 10; the same as I’ve done. I don’t go buy new Target Actions for $600. I look for Post-‘66, used Model 10/110’s, 11/111’s, etc, as inexpensive as I can find. Few years ago, it was relatively easy to pick up a used Savage for under $300. While prices have gone up, with some patience & perseverance, $400 is not out of the question. With luck, the Bolt Head already matches the intended cartridge choice. If not, $32 gets a new Bolt Head. Throw in a machined Recoil Lug & Barrel & it still leaves a good margin for a Barrel. Shilen, X-Caliber, Preferred, Criterion… all keep you around $1000. Going to a Top Shelf Cut rifled barrel will add another $200 or so.

So that’s what I meant in the beginning by building one’s own for the same price. It’s a trade off. Stiffer Action with Factory Savage barrel,
OR, Magazine ready & better quality aftermarket barrel, barrel nut, machined Recoil Lug. Not to mention the unique perspective & accomplishment of putting it together yourself. The first time I assembled my own rifle I was 26yo. I felt like it was such an accomplishment & I was really, truly proud of myself. I remember that ever time I assemble or build a Rifle or Pistol at 44 now. As for the stock, yeah..might get lucky on a used purchase, but probably not. A good bedding can go a long way. But eventually something else will be needed. Stocks/Chassis are one of those oddities. Might find something to meet your needs for $200-$400 or perhaps be in that midrange $500-$600. And on up to $1000 or more for the really high end Chassis. Even those like my Mirage URL, which cost a small fortune! But hey… being the only person with something is pretty cool, LOL! In the end go with your gut and it will be the right choice.

But it sounds like the OP got exactly what they wanted & is quite happy with the choice. So Kudos!

charlie b
12-30-2022, 02:29 PM
I am anxious to hear what kind of accuracy you get from the rifle.

Alabama F Class
01-01-2023, 12:50 PM
I am anxious to hear what kind of accuracy you get from the rifle.

Will definitely post results. Rifle due here on Tuesday.
155gr bullets on order, primers & powder in stock.
Now I just need scope money. Base & rings in stock.