PDA

View Full Version : Axis Camouflage Flaking Off

Militans Deo
01-17-2023, 07:22 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have recently purchased a Savage Axis with the TrueTimber Strata camouflage. After only about a month, it has started flaking off, with some areas not in contact with any place it would be handled. Is this a common issue? I was under the impression that these wraps were quite durable.

J.Baker
01-17-2023, 10:07 AM
The durability of the dipped finish is totally dependent on how well the item being dipped was prepped. My guess is they didn't do a good job of removing the mold release agent from the stock before dipping which prevented the film from adhering properly.

I'd call Savage, they'll likely send you out a replacement stock under warranty.

Militans Deo
01-17-2023, 02:06 PM
The durability of the dipped finish is totally dependent on how well the item being dipped was prepped. My guess is they didn't do a good job of removing the mold release agent from the stock before dipping which prevented the film from adhering properly.

I'd call Savage, they'll likely send you out a replacement stock under warranty.
I contacted Savage and they indicated this is not normal wear. As you've indicated, there was likely a flaw in the adhesion process. They said they would send out a replacement stock.

Thanks for your input!

prdatr
01-21-2023, 12:35 PM
I contacted Savage and they indicated this is not normal wear. As you've indicated, there was likely a flaw in the adhesion process. They said they would send out a replacement stock.

Thanks for your input!

They have always been good to me when I needed service and had to send an Axis in 243 back in 2017 due to one of the screw holes for the scope mount being rough tapped. It did take a few weeks to get it back which was ok since it was in the offseason.
It is a Compact model with the short stock so I might be interested in your old one if you want to sell it and is compatible with mine since I only use this Axis for hunting.

Chris