PDA

View Full Version : Is there a preferred bolt assembly style?

Pages : 1 [2]

Robinhood
07-30-2023, 05:03 PM
This Savage had a weak spring.
Can I have it? I built a crude tester. I always reduce my spring weight to reduce lift. I would like to see if it has been modified or where it falls in the preload weight.

Bat Rastard
07-30-2023, 06:46 PM
Can I have it? I built a crude tester. I always reduce my spring weight to reduce lift. I would like to see if it has been modified or where it falls in the preload weight.

I believe I saved it. I will check when I get home.
PM me your address.

Dave Hoback
07-30-2023, 07:58 PM

NO, Robin! It’s BAD! You’ll start getting light primer strikes and have to get a Wolff 32# spring to fix it!

Robinhood
07-30-2023, 09:00 PM
NO, Robin! It’s BAD! You’ll start getting light primer strikes and have to get a Wolff 32# spring to fix it!

I was not intending to be a smart Alec. I was sincere. Like you I have never seen one go week but it could be modified or damaged...or just weak. Sometimes they get through. I don't see a need for anything over maybe 22 lbs. I am curious what Fred has found. I would blame him for not revealing his hard earned data, but maybe.

Worth the read maybe.....
https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?2480-Firing-pin-spring-weight-as-issued-from-Savage

Dave Hoback
07-30-2023, 10:06 PM
No, I knew you weren’t. I was joking with you. I agree.. 22lb is the magic number. I found a 20lb a bit light. 22lb has not been a problem.

Bat Rastard
07-31-2023, 02:10 AM

I didnt toss it. I would love to send it to you for an assessment,

Bat Rastard
08-07-2023, 01:11 PM
Robin, please PM me. I would really like to see how this spring tests .

Robinhood
08-07-2023, 11:04 PM
Sorry Bat, Your not able to receive messages from me or at least if I can I am to ignorant to figure it out. LOL

Bat Rastard
08-08-2023, 09:51 PM
Sorry Bat, Your not able to receive messages from me or at least if I can I am to ignorant to figure it out. LOL

I think I found, and changed a setting, to allow me to receive PMs.

subzerocg
08-16-2023, 12:31 AM
Hey OP, just wondering - were you able to resolve your non igniting firing pin strikes on your Savage? I am new to bolt guns and was following this thread to see what happens... and it's like you three left it at a cliffhanger. Thanks :cool:

Dave Hoback
08-16-2023, 01:46 AM
Hey OP, just wondering - were you able to resolve your non igniting firing pin strikes on your Savage? I am new to bolt guns and was following this thread to see what happens... and it's like you three left it at a cliffhanger. Thanks :cool:

He did.. read post number 11 on the 1st page sub. ;)

subzerocg
08-16-2023, 11:59 AM
He did.. read post number 11 on the 1st page sub. ;)

I see. So it looks like that Wolf spring did the trick? Glad it worked out for OP.

Dave Hoback
08-16-2023, 05:27 PM
I see. So it looks like that Wolf spring did the trick? Glad it worked out for OP.

Subzero… I really don’t recommend ever getting a Wolff spring. Trust me. You won’t see a single knowledgeable person here using one of those. The factory striker spring has plenty of energy. They are actually over-sprung. Misfires are always caused by a secondary issue. Either the OP’s spring was defective or altered, or there is another issue which is being bandaid by the 32lb. spring.

Bat Rastard
08-17-2023, 06:33 PM
I wholeheartedly recommend the Wolf springs.
Every single round has fired since I installed it.

Bat Rastard
08-17-2023, 08:37 PM
Robin, I would like to send you the factory spring for evaluation. If it is defective, I would gladly replace the Wolf with a factory weight spring. PM me an address.

Bat Rastard
12-22-2023, 10:35 PM
I have since acquired another Model 12.
It had random ftf, with factory ammo and my reloads.
I put a Wolff spring in and it lights off each and every time.
Merry Christmas y'all.