PDA

View Full Version : Switchback vs Tactical in 6 ARC

Pages : 1 [2]

Dave Hoback
06-29-2023, 11:10 PM
I fully understand your contention and that this was designed to be used in the AR Platform. So on that I have to ask, what platform was the 6BR, 6BRA, 6Dasher designed to be used in? There is very little difference is size, shape or capacity. Then as I stated earlier I will be building a 6ARC bolt rifle as a cheaper substitute for the 6BR. Which from what I have researched, out to 500yds there is very little separating them from each other when loaded the same. Now I will never claim that the ARC is superior to any of the others.

Hi KMW, remember.. when I’m posting it’s not directed at anyone personally. :tea:

6mmBR and it’s affiliates, were created specifically for Bench Rest competition. And they have dominated the world in competition. The 6mmBR was really designed for out to 600yds, although it still does well to 1000yds. (Although it’s slightly larger counterparts do better at that distance.) Still, the record I think still on books is like a .282” at 600yds using a 6mmBRA. That is simply unreal!

But yes, again, please don’t think anything I say is being directed at you, or anyone specifically. Sorry if you took it to be. My statement was a friendly warning for people who already do that with the new cartridges or new shooters who will recite the sales add & Gun Rags. It’s just every few years we get several (not so) new cartridges and some people think the wheel has been reinvented, LOL!

KMW1954
06-30-2023, 03:37 PM
Dave, not at all, we have enjoyed plenty of conversations for me to think that. I'm just very curious about your thoughts on the ARC. MY thinking from what I have been researching for my upcoming build, it at least to me, fits in with the same group only in that it uses a different parent case and head. Again in my case shooting to only 300yds I don't see any real advantage of any one of them over the others, they look that close when loaded with the same components. So at just 300yds is 100fps really going to make a significant impact on a paper target?

Dave Hoback
06-30-2023, 05:11 PM
No, it won’t make difference there. My contention with the ARC is I’m just not a fan of anything in that case.. the 220 Russian. Which is actually a x39 with Small Primer pocket. Just a personal contention is all. Also, I’m not an off the shelf ammo user. Have been in the past, but also had a time of owning far more cartridges than I could afford to feed as well. I’ve scaled down my firearms holdings drastically. A number of years ago I decided to own only what I use. And besides that, I only own firearms I build myself.

KMW1954
06-30-2023, 07:51 PM
Got it now, just a personal preference. We all have them.

charlie b
06-30-2023, 09:57 PM
The 7.62x39 was adapted to a deer cartridge with the .220 Russian. Then in the 70's the PPC came out, first the .22 then the 6mm (P and P were BR shooters). Later on a couple of ".30PPC" cartridges were developed. Around the same time a 6.5PPC came out and morphed into the Grendel.

The BR series started from a shortened .308 a bit earlier (late 60's?) and was found in many forms until Remington put the 6BR in their target rifle. Later Norma 'fixed' it with a longer throat for the heavier bullets available then. There are still references to the 6mm Rem BR and Norma BR. The BR series were always designed around BR competition.

So, an interesting development path. The PPC started with the .22 and worked up to 6mm and then 6.5/.30. The BR started at .30 and worked down to 6mm and then .22.

I remember some of the arguments back in the day between proponents of the PPC vs the BR. The 100 and 200yd BR folks liked the small bore PPC's a lot. The 'discovery' of the 6BR as a long range cartridge came much later.

Basically, below 600yd they are a wash. Some will prefer PPC, others the BR. 600-1000 the BR and derivatives are more prevalent.

PS I am also a bit biased. I like the 7.62x39 as a combat cartridge. I don't really like the AR or AK platforms, but, if I had to, I'd want something with a bit more punch than the .223 or .300BO. The 6ARC seems to provide that.

Dave Hoback
06-30-2023, 11:44 PM
Well, I do still love my AR’s. And 223 STOPS people immediately. This isn’t “hunting” we’re talking about… and human beings aren’t Game! Our bodies are much more frail. Has anyone seen what a 55-75gr 223 does to human tissue? I have… and it’s terrifying. They simply eviscerate human flesh! It’s no coincidence the AR platform & 223 round are one of the longest running infantry service rifle the World over! And although it was officially “replaced” last year, troops across the world won’t be outfitted for some time to come. Which means the M4 & 5.56x45 aren’t going to be retired anytime soon.

charlie b
07-01-2023, 07:16 AM
Yep, we all have our opinions about the cartridges and platforms.