PDA

View Full Version : New barrel recommendations

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Dave Hoback
09-02-2023, 08:54 AM
He switched because he was attracted to gain rifling. It had nothing to do with Cut vs Button rifling. Here’s a great Q&A interview with Tony & Faye Boyer. https://precisionshooting.com/psm_2009_08_frame-html/

Robinhood
09-02-2023, 08:59 AM
If all steels and alloys of the same or similar content are the same why do so many companies require mill certs and traceability on the raw materials the use? Spending ones working life of over 40 years in a manufacturing setting of products that are involved in dangerous environment, teaches you things that a hobby doesn't. I have drilled into annealed 1045 carbon steel cold roll and found hard spots that I could not penetrate with a HSS drill bit. I have machined 316 and found soft and hard spots. The same material from a better supplier has never shown signs of hard or soft spots.

As whynot stated, Opinions(and supposition) are not facts. It is irresponsible to pass them off as such. I suggest that people compare your opinions to those of Barret Obermeyer or others. Maybe even Frank from Bartlein could offer some clarity. There are people that have learned a tremendous amount by doing. I respect those people. It is hard to respect someone that has never done something, but sells wolf cookies to the unknowing just to garner some appreciation from the ignorant.

Dave Hoback
09-02-2023, 09:04 AM
Something Tony said I thought was interesting. He says he doesn’t practice until the wind starts blowing. And there was no point wasting a good barrel in calm wind. That just grabbed my attention.

Robinhood
09-02-2023, 09:05 AM
The OP asked about help finding a barrel and mentioned these suppliers:
I've looked at the Criterion, Pac-Nor, Proof, X-Caliber, Preferred, McGowen, etc. There's just so many options out there.

For most regular Joe's like me and 90 percent of the other guys, It is a short list but those will be good enough for all but top competition and some of them have done well there also.

charlie b
09-02-2023, 10:48 AM
One reason I posted the statistics was to show that guy with the Shilen barrel. He outshot many with more expensive barrels. Could he have performed better with another barrel? Maybe. Or maybe not. Maybe he has enough confidence in that barrel that he does better with that brand.

The other part of those statistics can have to do with availability. If they need a new barrel and Krieger is the only one available then will they go with it? Yep, I realize that the top shooters have barrels sitting on the shelf waiting to go and some may even get preferential treatment.

Cut rifled are said to last longer. Don't know if it is true. Even Krieger doesn't claim it, he mentions that is what his customers say. So, that I would put in the anecdotal category until one of the high volume distance shooters comes up with some data on it.

And, yes, if I do get another barrel for my cast shooter it will be a button rifled, Lilja, Hart, etc. It is for short range (relative) and lifetime doesn't matter.

I do miss Frank's input on the forum. He was a wealth of information as well.

Dave Hoback
09-02-2023, 11:15 AM
These debates are so funny to me. For 20 years I’ve heard the same argument in the AR15 crowd between standard button & cold hammer forged. Only a few bring up up cut rifling there. The believers will swear up & down CHF lasts longer & is more accurate & blah, blah, blah. Another popular debate is AR bolts made from C158 (Carpenter), vs 9310. They’ll swear the 158 bolts are better because that milspec! Even though people who actually know steel know that 9310 is a tougher, more wear resistant alloy. (Nothing to do with “hardness” once again.) And yet another argument among knife users. (And makers). That Forged knives are stronger than Stock Removal blades. I’m sure a couple here believe this lie.

The refusal to be part of the herd and simply believe what they tell ya, is how I’ve come to be able to do the things I can.

South Prairie jim
09-02-2023, 11:35 AM
Y’all need to get along a bit more and stop trying to out do each other. One reason the long range BR community respects each other and shares information well is because we know how much work it takes to compete at a high level, we test everything and find what works for our program and even if we have a poor performance on match day we still take pride in seeing our buddies shoot well, not every one anneals or uses a certain type press or whatever that is but we learn from others equally well.

try it sometime, it’s easier than my way or the highway.
shoot small yall
J

PhilC
09-02-2023, 11:47 AM
Let's get back to JBpooh's question...please.

GrenGuy
09-02-2023, 02:37 PM
Let's get back to JBpooh's question...please.

Thanks Phil ! Thought it would never happen :o