PDA

View Full Version : Axis light primer strike issue

Pages : 1 [2]

Dave Hoback
10-04-2023, 07:06 PM
Oh I agree with you. No reason that is readily showing itself. All your parts appeared fine.(in picture) Nothing we’ve discussed can cause the diversity of firing you’ve experienced . Except, of course for the case moving in the chamber, as we’ve discussed. But from everything you said, it seems you are savvy on resizing/reloading. So… it’s a mystery.

But your next move, continuing as you outlined, sounds logical. Keep us informed.

tomme boy
10-05-2023, 06:43 PM
I have seen this same thing happen to one of my friends. He went way too far on cleaning up the primer recess. Some were too deep and some were not touched. His primer hole uniformer was a little too long. This made pin strikes difficult on some.

wywindsor
10-05-2023, 10:13 PM
My springs and new firing pin arrived today from The gun shack. The new spring is about 5/16 inch longer and heavier. The stock spring was the same size as the one in the axis 223. I put the gun back to the original barreled action. Along with a new firing pin and springs. The accu trigger would only set with the rear spring out about as far it would go. This made for a hard trigger pull and not consistent. One time it would fire. Another would cause the primary trigger to set and not fire. The rear spring would bind if I took it further. What I did find was the bolts stop/ firing pin release rubs on the trigger. This is where the shelf for the trigger lets the firing pin stud go.

I took the axis trigger out of the 223 and problem solved. This trigger is hard to pull with the new spring in the bolt. Went to the range with the last 6 rounds will no problems. I did pull them apart and put new primers in. I did ruin on more with too little case lube. I would post pics but won't host them on another site.

wywindsor
10-05-2023, 10:26 PM
Finished for now

wywindsor
10-05-2023, 10:27 PM
Dumb old guy can't follow directions.

Dave Hoback
10-05-2023, 11:26 PM
Beautiful! You made/machined that Chassis yourself? Very cool! What material is it made from? Can’t tell for certain.

So it sounds like your striker spring was weak? And with the new striker & spring there were no light primer strikes, or NO primer strikes, correct? Only, I’m having trouble understanding your meaning about the trigger hitting the spring & such. And then, do you mean you took the non-Accutrigger out of the 223 to use in 6mmGT rig? Just can’t visualize what parts are contacting one another & causing a problem. But if you got it to function correctly, there the important part. Again… Great looking rig.

wywindsor
10-07-2023, 07:44 AM
Thanks Dave, The chassis is aluminum. The coating is gun kote. It's the friction coating for pistons. I built this on a Bolton lathe and precision mathews mill. My next build will be a 6.5 prc 18'' barrel with a folding stock.

Dave Hoback
10-07-2023, 10:54 AM
Very skillful work! Whole Chassis is above my pay grade, LOL! And I fell in love with the Mirage URL Chassis. I only make small parts. And mostly just Titanium… bolt knob, some of the pins, etc. (Although the Firing Pin in my Savage I made from S7 Tool steel.)

Yes, I’m familiar with Gunkote. I actually do Cerakote on my firearms. Getting ready to sandblast & Cerakote another barrel soon in fact.

Great stuff, keep it coming! I’m very impressed with your work.