PDA

View Full Version : Why not 6.5 Grendel?

Pages : 1 [2]

KMW1954
12-27-2023, 06:20 PM
It just depends what you want to do overall. If you’re looking for general shooting, the 6ARC is fine. But if you are looking to be serious in competition target shooting, the 6BR/DASHER is King of the Ring. And if serious about 6mm, you’ll likely end up going the BR route eventually. In that case, you’d be saving yourself money. But it’s you’re call obviously.

No doubt and yes I am on the outside looking in. I do enjoy the competition and am nowhere near the level of some of our league shooters who are now shooting 6mm???. I view this as a step up from the 223 I am shooting now and able to do it within a reasonable investment. A Shilen prefit barrel from NSS is a modest cost, and tooling and components are readily available and I already have a good supply of ARC brass on hand. Also when taking into consideration that we are limited to a range of only 300yds I do not see a big disadvantage either.

Actually I was just talking with the league manager and this year one of our members is moving from a 6 Dasher to a 25X47 and this guy shoots competitively all year long.

charlie b
12-27-2023, 10:43 PM
If limited in range then the ARC or PPC would both be reasonable. I got the BR because I wanted to shoot at 600 to 1000.

I suspect the ARC might replace the PPC in some circles. Same case parentage, just a little longer.

BillsMortuary
12-29-2023, 11:48 AM
I've wanted a 6.5 Grendel, but didn't want the Howa w/ proprietary mags or the Ruger w/ AR mags. So I rebarreled a 6ARC with a 20" SHAW, it shoots phenomenal. Put it in XLR Chassis, so it takes MDT 6ARC mags.

Dave Hoback
12-29-2023, 09:33 PM
Well, that’s 2 people doing what I recommended with a rebarrel. Guess it not as much trouble as some thought. :rolleyes: