PDA

View Full Version : Multi use powders

Pages : 1 [2]

charlie b
01-08-2024, 10:28 AM
If you need to download there are numerous other powders that work. Some are better than others, but, the IMR and Hodgdon stick powders will almost all work at reduced levels.

Tmar
01-08-2024, 11:44 AM
I really like the way the Hogdon site is set up. I had no idea that there were so many powders that worked well for a variety of cartridges. Before studying that site, I was limited to the 4 different manuals that I had accumulated. Some of them don’t even list H4895. I guess they are mostly directed to the powders popular at the time of the tests. As of right now, I am only loading for deer hunting type cartridges for the woods where 100+ yard shots are rare. (30-06, 308, 30-30, 35 rem, 7.62x39, 350 legend, 270 and 223) Long range accuracy isn’t in my wheelhouse YET. Just learning at my ripe age of 59. I appreciate all the info on this site.

charlie b
01-08-2024, 12:25 PM
Don't forget the other powder mfgs/distributors. Alliant, Vihtivouri, etc.

And, yes, for 'normal' shooting there are probably 10 powders that will work in any given cartridge. And most powders will work in a variety of cartridges. The combination might not be the most efficient or accurate, but, for most situations they work.

Some powders seem to hit a sweet spot. 2400 is almost a universal pistol powder that can also be used in a lot of lower pressure rifle loads. OTOH powders like H110/W296 are 'one trick ponies' that only do well in a specific application, eg, heavy magnum pistol loads.

big honkin jeep
01-08-2024, 11:27 PM
Just so its been said, be very careful downloading below any powder manufacturers published minimums. All kinds of crazy anomolys can cause pressure spikes. These include bullets that start then lodge in the lands
and then the powder fully ignites behind them causing overpressure. Powder inside the case burning with more surface area top to bottom instead of in a column rear to front causing over pressure. Bullets lodging in the lands causing obstructions, hang fires where the primer is struck then 1,2,3 KABOOM whenever it gets ready to , And other crazy conditions that may not be readily forseeable, anticipated or even make sense to by the average reloader.
Published minimums arent just lawyer speak but are most often based on actual science and known hazards.
Stay safe

charlie b
01-09-2024, 02:50 PM
Yep, weird things can and do happen. Rarely do any of them result in dangerous pressures, mainly just inconsistent ignition. At reduced loads a pressure spike is rarely up to the rated pressure of the cartridge. Several folks have documented this stuff 'scientifically' with pressure trace equipment.

Some that can be an issue involve using fillers and/or wads in the case. Incorrectly used they can create something like a barrel obstruction.

But...any who are not comfortable working 'outside the zone' of published data, then don't.

Nor Cal Mikie
01-10-2024, 10:42 AM
Varget stinks. Deadly accurate but it stinks!! Never liked cutting kernels so I don't use it much anymore.
I get one powder, work it till I can't work it anymore THEN work it some more.
Used AA 2230 C till they quit making it. Went thru something like 50 pounds @ $65.00 a 8 pound jug. (M1As and Mimi 14s eat lots of powder) :cool::cool:
When AA 2230C wasn't available anymore, switched over to AA 2230.
Use it in just about everything I load for.
20 MGM Wildcat, .221 Fireball, .223, 20 VT, 20 VT "short", 20 BR, 22 BR, 6mmBR, 6.8 BR, 6.8 SPC, .308 and a few others I can't think of.
Each and every one will shoot bug holes.

The thing that gets me? Someone will say XXXX powder shot GREAT for me and "everybody" jumps on the bandwagon. So pretty soon folks end up with 10 to 15 different powders sitting on the shelf but don't realize most of them would really work if they just spent time finding out.
If all you could get was ONE powder, bet you would learn just how good it would work. ;)

Tmar
01-10-2024, 01:07 PM
I appreciate all the replies. This has been an enlightening thread. I am sure more questions will be in my near future ��

Dave Hoback
01-10-2024, 04:00 PM
My favorite all around powder, although it’s mainly my top choice for 223, is BL-(C)2 Great thing is I could use it in both my 223Rem & 260AI if I had nothing nothing else.

Nahum
01-13-2024, 11:31 AM
4895 in rifles. Works about any where.

Robinhood
01-13-2024, 09:32 PM
4064 has surprised me. Especially for the 270 win.

Ernest T
02-09-2024, 11:20 PM
I use CFE Pistol and HP-38 in many different non-magnum handgun loads and H110 or 2400 for magnum loads..