PDA

View Full Version : Unusual bedding in Savage 112J SA.

Mtlucas1973
05-27-2024, 03:32 PM
I picked up a nice Savage 112J short action in .223 from an estate sale. I just took it out of the stock because while cleaning it I noticed what looked like bedding all the way down the barrel channel. Sure enough the barrel channel is bedded all the way to the end, but the action itself is not; not even around the recoil lug.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Was this something specific to these rifles that people found worked? A fad? The only thing that makes sense to me is the previous owner wanted to experiment or misunderstood how to bed a rifle. Or maybe had it confused with something like a 1903 Springfield which needs pressure under the front of the barrel via the stock.

thanks,
Mike

pdog06
05-27-2024, 07:03 PM
No. Actually it is just the opposite. Most will say to free float the barrel and rear tang of the action, and bed the rest of the action and the action side of the recoil lug. The barrel nut side of the lug and barrel nut itself gets clearances/free floated just like the barrel.

But like you said, maybe experimenting to see improvement or lack their off? Maybe trying to stiffen the stock in the process? Who knows?

LDSILLS
05-28-2024, 10:07 AM
Not unusual to bed the entire length of the barrel for light caliber rifles to increase accuracy and never touching the action.

Similarly to light calibers certain types of barrels do not like floating especially sporter and featherlight tapered barrels. These like positive pressure and it can be done by either the forend end bedded for about 2 inches towards the action. Whilst others are like yours they like the full length of the barrel bedded.

Search the web and look for sine wave tuning of a rifle barrel or positive compensation of a rifle barrel. In simple terms you are trying to control the swing of the barrel. Instead of controlling with load development you control it with positive pressure on the barrel. That way you have a larger selection.

What is your barrel taper that will help solve the issue?

Larry

Mtlucas1973
05-28-2024, 12:19 PM
I haven’t measured it, but it’s every bit of a varmint contour barrel. I’m pretty sure it’s 26”, but definitely not less than 24”.

LDSILLS
05-29-2024, 07:20 AM
This is from a previous post Factory Savage Barrel Profiles? (http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?8611-Factory-Savage-Barrel-Profiles) In my opinion it says it all.

Savage offers what they put on other rifles.
They offer a sporter, One for standard calibers and one for the magnum guns.
Something in the middle on the 10PC and predator.
A varmint profile.
And the target action guns have a heavier profile.

The some are blued, some are parkerised, and some are stainless. Some are fluted, some are not, and some have a muzzle break, and some are threaded.

On contour numbers you can not go by that because each company's numbers are different. for example a #7 Shillen contour is different than a #7 Krieger contour. Most aftermarket barrel makers offere a contour similar to the Savage factory countours, but they all call them different.