PDA

View Full Version : Model 99 fore arm treatment for accuracy

99lover
05-30-2024, 08:10 PM
I had previously posted here about my need to fix my forearm attachment. Well, I got that cured and now the gun shoots patterns instead of groups. When I got the gun I fired it with Rem 150 gr Core Lok ammo and it placed three shots in about 0.75" to 1.5" groups at 100 yds. However, the forearm would shoot loose. It was only being held with about 2 or three threads. After fitting a new barrel stud and placing an o-ring around the barrel stud I have business card clearance forward from the barrel stud to the end of the fore arm and from the barrel stud back to about 2" from the receiver. It is obvious that my installation of the forearm has screwed up my accuracy. Anybody have any more wisdom? Would glass bedding the barrel channel be advised? How about any advice about fitting the rear of the forearm to the receiver? Should I do anything to the fitting of the buttstock to the receiver?

99lover
05-31-2024, 12:07 PM
Well I have tried several powders and 150 gr bullets. If I rest the receiver of the gun on my forward support it shoots reasonable groups. If I place the forearm on the forward rest it refuses to group at all. This is discouraging. Never had this problem with guns with one piece stocks.

wbm
05-31-2024, 01:44 PM
Had the same issue but with a Ruger #1. Would be interested to know what kind of result you get if you remove the forearm and repeat the same routine you did with forearm installed.(forward support/forward rest)

With the Ruger, forearm pressure was the issue. When I removed the forearm it shot good...with forearm on not so good.but it took time to figure out how to fix it.

Model24
06-01-2024, 09:22 AM
Floating the barrel on a one-piece stock makes sense to me, but not so much on a two-piece. I suggest removing the O-ring and try for solid connection.