PDA

View Full Version : My first new gun, in 1961

drone
06-02-2024, 07:26 PM
My father didn't believe in hire purchase or whatever you call it in the States, it took months of begging and eventually he relented. There were two guns in the sports shop I was interested in both, one was a win 97 used and the other a new Stevens model77. The laws in the UK at the time did not allow hp agreements for used items so my mind was made up for me and I became the 16 year old owner of a 12 gauge pump gun.
For the next six years I used that gun every weekend and shot so many pigeons, ducks and game birds with it that even my Mum was impressed.
I used to buy the cheapest shells, russian Baikal shells, half the price of eley and a quarter the price of W-W, I did a lot of duck shooting in the winter on LLangorse Lake in mid wales and in the evenings the muzzle flash was a brilliant green, lord knows what powder they had. I eventually bought a remington 1100 and the gun was honourably retired for the next 55 years. A couple of years ago I dug it out and reamed the choke out to halfway between 1/4 and 1/2 choke and took it pigeon shooting,it performed impeccably just as you would expect of a gun that was selected for US service in Vietnam should do.
I still have it and the Remington 1100 that followed it but the Churchill, Boss, Scott and Darne have all been sold but I treasure those two guns and the stevens is still the apple of my eye 63 years on.