PDA

View Full Version : Savage Low Profile Varmint .243 UPDATE

Taidog1
06-04-2024, 04:28 PM
Accuracy means a lot of different things to many, many people. ME? I'm fussy, aka Paranoid about my rifles' accuracy. Yes - I do know that 1 hole accuracy at 100 yards just isn't "necessary" for a "hunting" rifle. Because it isn't. Just ME now...I'll put in the time to get my hunting rifle to get close to that 5 shot "1 hole" goal.

The 8 twist .243 I "had" - at best - after considerable range testing with multiple bullets / loads - was a 1 to 1.5 MOA rifle. CONSISTENTLY.

The following is about the rifle & bullet - not the shooter.

I retrieved my Low Profile and went back to the range this morning. Went to learn / test the best bullet for Wiley later this year. This rifle - I posted the story a month or more ago on its 4 shot 1 hole group using 90 gr Accubonds. The rifle and load went to LR school in VA. Outstanding would be an understatement.

At the range this morning - first up - the 75 gr V-Max. Did OK. MOA.

Next - 80 gr Sierra Blitz. Did OK. .8 MOA.

Moved to the 87 gr V Max. .2 MOA - 5 shot groups. Hypothetically now - a 33 cal bullet would not fit thru that hole. Nosler Manual # 9 - 38.5 gr IMR 4350.

Next week - will test the Sierra 85 gr HPBT.

While I wish this rifle were a bit lighter for hunting - I'll happily carry the weight for this accuracy.

Before leaving - shot 3 of the 90 gr Accubonds. Not quite 1 hole but about as close to 1 hole as one could get. I'm blaming the guy behind the trigger.

Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers.

charlie b
06-04-2024, 07:01 PM
Nice shooting.

I am always amazed how one bullet of similar quality and construction will be so much better than another. But, I guess when you get down to the 1-3 level it is kinda 'magic'. :)

wbm
06-04-2024, 07:13 PM
Next week - will test the Sierra 85 gr HPBT.

That bullet is legendary for many long time 243 shooters. I have used H4831 with it for years. Shot a lot of Arizona Coues deer with it over the years and never had one go over 10 yards. No exaggeration!

Taidog1
06-05-2024, 10:15 AM
Nice shooting.

I am always amazed how one bullet of similar quality and construction will be so much better than another. But, I guess when you get down to the 1-3 level it is kinda 'magic'. :)

Magic is right Charlie. :-)

Taidog1
06-05-2024, 10:17 AM
That bullet is legendary for many long time 243 shooters. I have used H4831 with it for years. Shot a lot of Arizona Coues deer with it over the years and never had one go over 10 yards. No exaggeration!

A bit heavier bullet than I wanted but I just can't argue with the paper. Good to know on the light deer. Thanks.

Taidog1
06-05-2024, 10:44 AM
Posted in another Section...

Sent to Savage Arms this AM:

Regarding my Low Profile Varmint 243 Win:

Serious range testing with 87 gr & 90 gr bullets has proven this to be THE # 1 most accurate rifle I've ever owned over 6 decades of shooting. @ 100 yards - ONE - 6mm sized hole - 5 shot groups are common. WELL DONE Savage. PLEASE pass this msg along to those who built this rifle. Proud to own this rifle.
Thank you.