PDA

View Full Version : Fire forming .22/250 ackley

Woopig
06-05-2024, 08:50 PM
I just fire formed 100 rounds.Of that I had 8 that split. Was using 33.2 IMR 4895 55gr v max .020 off the lands. It shot really well and used it on a recent prairie dog hunt. Forming brass might as well hunt too. So now I need to fire form more brass for a fall hunt. My intent is that I load for that hunt as ackley. The brass splitting is a concern for me as it is not cheap. Should I be seating at the lands? Powder charge hotter? I didn't have this issue with my .223 ackley. Thanks

Blue Avenger
06-05-2024, 10:17 PM
What condition was the brass before forming, New? Used brass should ideally be annealed to help. Well I guess you could say that for new also.

Fuj'
06-06-2024, 05:48 AM
If you had 8 cases that split, there are probably more in that batch that are on the edge.
As Blue Avenger mentioned......It's good to anneal first. How many firings were on the
brass ?? Some brass that has a good amount of firings is a bit harder and will not pull
needed brass from below the shoulder to form the new AI shoulder. Make sure your
annealing goes slightly below the shoulder and not just the neck. Some shooters that
say they have a hard time bumping the shoulders back, this is the problem. Brass did
not get a good anneal in that area, just the neck.

LDSILLS
06-06-2024, 11:49 AM
If you shoot allot another idea would be call Hornady and see what it will cost you for a hydraulic form die kit. Have your specs ready if you decide to purchase as they are custom built. Whidden makes them also. Heres the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuH5o-AUgKI

They work great but you should have an old RCBS C-Press as the threads on the press you use for reloading will take a beating.

If you read stuff like using pistol powder and items like wax, cream of wheat or even hot glue to hold the powder in...DONT DO IT! Its dangerous as hell!

Woopig
06-07-2024, 12:27 AM
Yes I will anneal before any more shooting. Brass was once fired by a friend of mine( he doesn't reload). Thought about annealing in the first place, but I don't have an annealer. Tried the DIY drill chuck with torch but just didn't trust it. But maybe that's better than nothing if I don't over do it.

GrenGuy
06-08-2024, 08:07 AM
There’s no reason not to trust the drill method, unless You don’t trust Yourself. YouTube has plenty of information on how to do it correctly.

Fjold
06-08-2024, 07:33 PM
I've been fire forming new and used cases for my 22.250 AI and I can't remember ever splitting a case.

I generally use a 22.250 starting load of whatever powder that I have on hand with a cheap 50 or 55 grain, bullet seated long so that it jams against the lands.

I didn't anneal any of the brass and the used cases were once fired factory loads.

Blue Avenger
06-09-2024, 11:21 PM
Happen to be Winchester brass? ;)

Woopig
06-11-2024, 08:13 AM
It was Winchester brass. After watching YouTube videos, going with bare hand and torch. There is a learning curve. (Ouch). Figured I wouldn't over do it that way. I've been reloading for 30+ yrs. which makes me no expert. I try to do the best I can with the equipment and lessons I've learned. Someone here always has knowledge beyond mine and I'm willing to get educated. That's why I come here. Thank you.