PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Need help identifying rifle.

setve
06-08-2024, 09:16 AM
Hi guys, I'm a new member and need help identifying a rifle.

A friend asked me to restore his fathers 250-3000 savage rifle. I tried to do some research on the pieces and hit a block wall. All I have is a receiver and barrel (takedown),buttstock and pistol grip fore arm. the receiver and barrel were seized and at some time in the past he had someone try to take it apart but was unable to figure it out. The fellow completely stripped the rifle down to the last screws and pins and in the end lost or sold all the parts.

With a heat gun I was able to remove the barrel. The only markings on the receiver are the serial number (649xxx) and a really small K on the lever boss at the top front. The barrel is marked Jul25,1893 sep10,1907 may25,1909 jun1,1909 savage hp steel 250-3000 utica ny . The butt stock an forearm are stamped H.E.W. and checkered.
I think the date of mfg. is 1952. From looking at old catalogs I'm leaning towards either a 99EG or a 99F model.

The receiver has no cutout for a clip, so I assume it's a rotary carrier type. The forearm is a schanable and has a cutout for the take down release latch but no parts.

If anyone out there has any ideas, I could sure use some help and would be grateful.

Thanks for your time ,Steve

PhilC
06-09-2024, 07:58 AM
If it was in the 50s, look for an oval stamp on the barrel containing 2 digits and a letter for example, "11F", the numbers are the inspector's ID, the letter is the year code. See this chart to decode year - Rifles with Date Code Stamp (1949-1969) (http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?62035-Rifles-with-Date-Code-Stamp-(1949-1969))

setve
06-09-2024, 08:59 AM
Thanks Phil, the only other stamping on the barrel I didn't mention is an arrow with OFF in the middle indicating the direction of removal. The integral sight on the barrel has a removable insert with a very small insert held by a set screw, if that helps any.
I appreciate the help, Steve

After further inspection I found, in really small stamping, on the top right in front of the ejection port, Savage model 1899.
I'm apparently reading the serial number wrong. The first and last numbers look like 6's but may not be. They look like they have been center punched flowers.

Now I am confused.

Thanks, Steve

After further research I found savage 1899 marked on the top of receiver. I corresponded with Cody firearms museum with some pics of this rifle and serial numbers and we came to the conclusion it's a model from 1923.

Thanks again for your help!

Mad Dog
06-15-2024, 08:39 AM
By the sounds of it it's a 99G but the first serial number through me off. They never even made a take down model that late in the serial range.

1923 sounds alot closer to a 2nd gen 250-3000 or a G.

setve
06-15-2024, 08:59 AM
Serial # turns out to be 2498XX which works out to 1923. Now I just need a schematic and parts list to start to obtain parts.

Thanks for your help,

Steve