PDA

View Full Version : SFP or FFP scope for Wiley - 50 to 800 yards?

Taidog1
06-08-2024, 04:41 PM
MODERATOR: If this post should have been placed under Optics - pls move. I put it here because the ultimate goal is hunting Predators.

I'm a relatively new member here and greatly appreciate the support and genuinely helpful information Ive been given by good folks here. Thank you.

My goal over the last 6 months has been to get my rifle and scope battery down to 3 HUNTING rifles. Rifles? Accomplished. Scopes? 2 down 1 to go.

The Light "hunting" rifle is the Low Profile Varmint in .243. Its PRIMARY mission is to hunt Coyotes at multiple ranges. I've already posted the outstanding short & LR accuracy of this rifle and why I'll happily carry the rifle's weight for it's accuracy. After wearing multiple scopes, it's now carrying a SFP / MOA 6x24x50 of good quality.

Please - I am NOT asking for another long list of differences between SFP & FFP. Thank you. Those differences I have learned reasonably well. What I am asking for is your FIRST HAND experience hunting Coyotes at close and longer ranges. Do you prefer SFP or FFP and why??

I'm asking because I'm trying to finalize my scope decision. So I can spend my time & $$ into testing that last / final scope on this rifle. If the decision comes down to SFP MOA - I may already be set? FFP MIL? And why I'm posting my question.

Thank you kindly - will seriously consider your opinion.

Cheers.

LDSILLS
06-11-2024, 09:00 AM
Ok Ill throw this at you. I have used both FFP and SFP. Unless your using the reticle to judge distance it doesn't matter. When hunting yotes just learn your ballistics drops and hold over. I say this as after thousands of yotes taken I can remember ranging two. That is because unless you have a barker you don't have time.

The other thing I do is keep the scope on the magnification if its a SFP. So what if the yote looks bigger at close range. Nothing wrong with a yote at 12 power at 50 yards.

My longest lifetime kill shot at a barker was 746 yards. Cant say how long it was for runners.

I use Sightron scopes exclusively for yotes and they have performed very well.

Taidog1
06-11-2024, 09:29 AM
Ok Ill throw this at you. I have used both FFP and SFP. Unless your using the reticle to judge distance it doesn't matter. When hunting yotes just learn your ballistics drops and hold over. I say this as after thousands of yotes taken I can remember ranging two. That is because unless you have a barker you don't have time.

The other thing I do is keep the scope on the magnification if its a SFP. So what if the yote looks bigger at close range. Nothing wrong with a yote at 12 power at 50 yards.

My longest lifetime kill shot at a barker was 746 yards. Cant say how long it was for runners.

I use Sightron scopes exclusively for yotes and they have performed very well.

Thank you. I greatly appreciate your reply. Trying to learn what's "best" (???) I've spent a ton of time reading / testing and too many $$ on purchases. I actually rationalized your findings above - but my speculations lacked confirmation - and I don't want to trust what I don't know. Hence my posting my question. Which you've answered.
:-)

Maybe turn my 24x down to 12x and develop my DOPE / hold-overs?

Thank you again