PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with Krylon Paint Rattle Cans?

LDSILLS
06-09-2024, 12:49 PM
Heres my COMPLAINT of the month. Just as a you pay the same for corn flakes but get less for your buck in these modern times. Krylon Rattle Can Paint seem's to have done the same. I mean Poof, I ran through a can of black and clear on my gunstock. :mad:

I admit it, I made errors on the gunstock and there was some do overs in spots but nothing major. Just your typical rattle can in the garage spray issues like bug spots, some dust, yep a couple of runs, and some air bubbles. I also know I waste quite a bit as I spray 15-18 inches away and spray side to side not stopping on the project. I also shake the crap out of it in before use and while using it.

Can't tell you how many coats of black I sprayed but it wasn't many. I put on about a dozen coats of clear (includes repairing some errors)

Still how did I use 2 brand new cans of rattle can paint on a gun stock? :noidea:

Glad Sherwin Williams owns Krylon and routinely offers it in the store for around $5.00 can.

- Krylon COLORmaxx Acrylic Crystal Clear
- Krylon Fusion All-In-One Gloss Black

pdog06
06-09-2024, 05:13 PM
Not surprised cause that seems the way it is with everything. I guess With paint cans you don’t even know it till it runs out though.

Blue Avenger
06-09-2024, 11:19 PM
last 4 cans of VanSyckle paint I bought clogged before I was half empty. Will try to exchange them.

LDSILLS
06-10-2024, 10:08 AM
last 4 cans of VanSyckle paint I bought clogged before I was half empty. Will try to exchange them.

I have used rattle cans since I was 9 painting metallic on my model cars. Back then metallic flake would always clog. Somehow we were at a body shop and the man told me some tricks to stop it. Been using his advise all these years I have NEVER had anymore clogs. I may lose pressure in the can over time but never a clog.

Important before use ensure the can is kept in the same atmosphere as you plan to spray. Not exceeding the or decreasing the recommended temp range for cure. Shake shake and shake more. Don't stop once you here the ball rattling instead keep shaking for at least 5 minutes post the ball noise.

Now heres what I do. Turn the can upside down and spray the paint out until the mist is clear. Then shake one more time and do it again upside down. This time there should be only a mist. Next pulse spray some waste material Pulse spraying bursts' fills the "valve" and allows clean paint. If it splatters shake again and then repeat the upside down spray. In the case above it was explained to me the marble inside the can is not just moving paint its knocking against the "valve" inside the can.

If you look at the photo below you can see how paint collects at the conclave corners because that is where the tip of the valve rest. This pain is very hard to move as its viscosity is usually higher as heavier chemicals mostly pigments will rest here. No different then opening a can of house paint and seeing the yellow chemicals at the top and pigments under neath. Many many years have proven the design of the spray paint can is a good one. Its the operators that seldom take the time to see whats really in the can.

I know people do this but its important to always shake while your painting.

When your done whether its resting the can between dry time or long term storage clear the tube again by placing the can upside down and purge the paint in the "valve". If you clear the inside spray tube before storage that spray paint will be good 5-8 years later. Also dont use a pin to clean the cap...using a pin sometimes will ruin the seal. Instead I use a round toothpick with some alcohol on it.
https://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/258/a/5/can_by_kiwi_pdd-d6mdq6x.jpg

PhilC
06-10-2024, 10:15 AM
Now heres what I do. Turn the can upside down and spray the paint out until the mist is clear.
Secret's out. :thumb:

wbm
06-12-2024, 10:35 AM
last 4 cans of VanSyckle paint I bought clogged before I was half empty.

Last two cans of Krylon Camouflage did the same. I always turn upside down and spray before storing the paint. Did not make any difference clogged anyway.

PhilC
06-12-2024, 11:54 AM
Try wiping the nozzle with a rag or paper towel after spraying until material ceases.

wbm
06-12-2024, 02:00 PM
Tried about everything Phil but no results. Have used Krylon for years and the problem started last year. The Camo Flat Black is the worst and the Green is fairly good.

pdog06
06-12-2024, 05:06 PM
Last two cans of Krylon Camouflage did the same. I always turn upside down and spray before storing the paint. Did not make any difference clogged anyway.

I tricked out a Caldwell fire control test yesterday but cutting off the rear raised area and adding a flat plate that is perfect for a rear bag. Anyway, went to prime and paint it and 4-5 of the cans kept clogging. Kept holding them upside down to clear them. What a PITA. Finally got a good one though and was able to finish. However it was paint I bought last summer.

PhilC
06-13-2024, 07:42 AM
Haven't used Krylon in years so maybe they've changed the spray valves.