PDA

View Full Version : Sling swivel Removal problem with the laminated stock for the Savage BTV

epags
06-19-2024, 03:20 PM
CLOSED.
Today I decided to remove the rifle sling swivel screws from my laminated BTV stock in order to shoot off of bags without the interference of the swivel screw. The rear one removed just like any normal screw would. However, the front rifle swivel screw (no, not the one for a bipod) justs keeps turning without backing out. Is it a normal screw or is it a bolt? I have not tried to remove the action from the stock yet....maybe I should?
Comments & suggestions please.

dfrosch
06-20-2024, 07:36 AM
Remove the stock. Front swivels are almost always held by nyloc nuts.

epags
06-20-2024, 06:19 PM
Thanks. I am getting a new heavier bottom plate today or tomorrow so when I remove the action bolts I will go all the way and check out the nyloc situation. Sounds like it may be just rotating and will need to be epoxied in. Or since I do not plan to use a sling on a BR target rifle I may just plug it and try to provide some cosmetic finish.

epags
06-23-2024, 10:35 AM
Remove the stock. Front swivels are almost always held by nyloc nuts.
And the prize goes to @dfrosh. Thanks, took off the action yesterday and as you said there was a nylon nut holding the front sling swivel and another for the bipod swivel.
Now to find a way to elegantly plug the two sling swivel holes. Used some clay (from my bedding kit) so I could reattach the swivels some day (perhaps for resale when I upgrade). Functional but ugly.