PDA

View Full Version : 7mm Rem Mag+175 ABLR

Redtriever
06-21-2024, 06:45 AM
I was curious if anyone has loaded the 175 ABLR in their 7mm REM Mag? Kind of wondering what they have had success with powder and charge, Nosler has all the information free online just trying to get a feel.
Used the 162 eld-x on a nice whitetail buck this last year, but after losing pretty much front half minus straps need something that holds together. Wasn’t a close shot, 498 yards and just disgusting and disappointing.
Any information appreciated…

prdatr
06-23-2024, 02:03 PM
I have not and hate when a bullet blows up. I was shooting HSM with the 168 Bergers in my early 90's Model 700 but had it make a mess out of a Coues Deer on a hunt in Sonora and it ruined the cape at 220 yards. That has the heavy sporter barrel at 24" and 1:91/4 and I bought it new when Remington finally decided to come out with an all weather stainless model. It started out life as an ADL but now has a McMillan BDL after switching from a Manners because the comb was too high for the scope. This is strictly a hunting rifle.
I was with a group of friends and one of them shot an Elk at about 450 -500 yards and had the same result using the same bullet. They just didn't get much penetration before grenading. I picked up some factory seconds AB's in 160 gr and some ADG brass and am going to have a local guy work up some loads and have some H1000 which I hope isn't too slow.
I used Barnes factory ammo with the VOR-TX 160 in December of 2022 on an Elk and dropped him with one shot to the shoulder at about 420 yards. These shoot very close to the Bergers POI.
I have a Swarovski 3-18 scope with a factory custom turret for the 168 ABLR.

charlie b
06-23-2024, 08:52 PM
I would have thought that most of the heavier 7mm bullets would have been designed for the magnum and hold together on medium or large game, especially at the longer ranges. Would especially tick me off if I was shooting at a large bear and had that problem. For lighter stuff it would not have surprised me if the bullet didn't expand at all.

Redtriever
06-25-2024, 10:07 AM
It was pretty frustrating. Nosler data shows best results was Rl22 which is what I used on the eld-x. Without a doubt the ELD-X is accurate, you could see the shock go through the buck and stoned it deader than dead...
Its about time to get some early morning shooting in here with the heat, I'll post results when I can get to some fun.