PDA

View Full Version : SAVAGE 12BVSS 6mm BR Settings and Fine Tuning

Pages : 1 [2]

Robinhood
07-02-2024, 10:02 PM
I could write for weeks on as you described on Harmonics by Induced Vibration.. Bottomline its a huge topic.

However, I have thought that every person that uses a tuner (barrel tuner) shall have an accelerometer to calibrate the tuner to the load. No different than than using a chronograph. Except IMHO the accelerometer equals velocity and ballistics.

They are easy to use and build just ask the model helicopter folks. In fact a person could easily build one here and adopt it to your tuner. https://blog.ammolytics.com/2019-01-01/project-cheap-rifle-accelerometer.html (https://blog.ammolytics.com/2019-01-01/project-cheap-rifle-accelerometer.html....The) The only thing for a barrel is IMHO you need a 6 axis accelerometer for complete tuning and that would require the addition of magnetometer to the hardware. To mount do what I did in a past life, mount the accelerometer to the barrel with a stiff hot glue for stainless or magnetic for carbon based barrels. If your barrel would have front sight holes that would be ideal.

Just attach, simply shoot and then look at the result. Turn the tuner a few degrees and check the results. Keep doing this until the tuner goes from a large sinusoidal wave to the smallest one possible. Baseline is a static rifle with a round loaded and bolt closed.

Photo below courtesy of AMMOLYTICS https://blog.ammolytics.com/about/

I want to thank you for posting this LDSILLS. This is the most interesting thing I have seen posted in a long time.

You did an excellent job of simplifying the concept. At that frequency I think some really rigid mounting would be required to see your actual amplitude

Mass will reduce the frequency of the vibration and location of that mass will reduce or increase the amplitude.

I agree with Charlie on the switch barrel concept on being difficult to repeat harmonics.

Great stuff.

charlie b
07-02-2024, 10:35 PM
I've seen people try that kind of thing before. Takes a lot of time and ammunition, or a small lab of equipment, to get everything set correctly. Some will say it works, but, I didn't see any others follow suit. I would guess that most don't understand it but they do understand shooting groups to do the same thing.

Fuj'
07-03-2024, 07:03 AM
I'm taking the 5th......LOL

LDSILLS
07-03-2024, 08:03 AM
I'm taking the 5th......LOL

Fuj' lets here it. We are all here to learn and share experience. If I am off base tell me won't be the first.

LDSILLS
07-03-2024, 08:10 AM
... or a small lab of equipment, to get everything set correctly...

I am old enough to remember that computers took up a whole room, just to do the square root of pie...now that same room is in your cell phone! ;)

LDSILLS
07-03-2024, 08:12 AM
We kinda got off subject...can someone reply to this, I'm ready to learn a new method.

Whats you favorite way of fire-forming brass?

charlie b
07-03-2024, 08:23 AM
LOL, yep.

I used to pay MIT to run a particular program for calculating performance of our system (atmospheric propagation). We had to pay for time on an Air Force Cray computer and run the program at 2am when the rates were the cheapest and it still cost about $5k per run. Why? The program needed several GB of core memory and a GHz processor. That program can now run on a phone.

They also did a target recognition program wit the same requirements. Now your phone camera has that software in it for facial recognition and tracking. Heck, my watch has that much capability.

Fireform. I just load and shoot if it is a std cartridge. Still useful information on the loads. If a wildcat I'll load it down just a little and run some cheap bullets through it. Then do a final trim and load as usual.