PDA

View Full Version : 243 varmint bullet

Pages : 1 [2]

KRP
03-12-2011, 01:23 AM
What's wrong with the Amax you are already shooting?

Nothing really. Just always open to advise. Plan to stay with it unless I find something that groups tighter. Working with that load now to try and tighten it up a little. I'm not the master loader by any means, just a continual work in progress.

I've shot rockchucks at 850 with the 87 Vmax out of a 6BR...haven't made a connection at 1000 with them yet, not due to any fault of the bullet. I questioned the problem with the 105 Amax because I've got two new 6BR builds(finished one today actually) that I intend to use them in for long range varmints.

kdvarmint
03-12-2011, 09:46 AM
What's wrong with the Amax you are already shooting?

Nothing really. Just always open to advise. Plan to stay with it unless I find something that groups tighter. Working with that load now to try and tighten it up a little. I'm not the master loader by any means, just a continual work in progress.

I've shot rockchucks at 850 with the 87 Vmax out of a 6BR...haven't made a connection at 1000 with them yet, not due to any fault of the bullet. I questioned the problem with the 105 Amax because I've got two new 6BR builds(finished one today actually) that I intend to use them in for long range varmints.

Like I said I chose the 105s for bucking the wind and more carried energy. What I wondered was if a lighter bullet might better suited to the caliber. Haven't had as tight of groups as I want to see, but, have copper fouling build up in the barrel that I've been working on to get out. I learn as I go and learned of this build up thing a little later in the game than I wish. I thought I was "cleaning" good until I read about shining a light down the barrel. "Surprise!" I got my 308 last year and have kept after it pretty good. Doesn't take real long to clean it. But the 243 has had a lot of rounds through it without a proper cleaning, now I'm paying the price. Overall been satisfied with the 105s. Been using Butches Bore Shine and have been hesitant, but starting to work with Sweet's 7.62.

scope eye
03-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Hi to me there is a difference between "shooting varmint's" and "varmint loads", when some one says to me the word varmint I envision 3500+ fps and a lot of hang time and wall of red mist, heck my 338 win mag shoots those barne's 160's at 3500+ with a full case of varget so that to me qualifies as a varmint load, but that's just me.
Dean

kdvarmint
03-13-2011, 10:23 AM
I guess I'm just the average varmint shooter atter. I don,t know what some would call my loads. I'll just call em loads I shoot groundhogs with.
I don't chronograph while I work up loads. I look for consistency on the paper. Then I chrono what I'm hunting with to make my click chart.
I have to admit I don't pay much attention to speeds and spreads. I find the Optimum Charge Weight range, then tightest group in that range. Tweak a little with seating, and there I am. Sure I try different powder and bullets, and brass n primers. But I'm no Benchrest comp. shooter. Only been reloading 3yrs. Think I've come a long way in a short time, but don't want to sound like more than I am...average. Don't take any of this wrong.
I'm thankful for the advise I get here, and love the conversation.

scope eye
03-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Hey KD I am the first to admit that I'm not as good as I think I am, It's part of my charm ;D Here's what works for me, I take in all they info that's relevant and try and sort it out as best as I can, and that usually gives me a good starting point, when ever I post load data all I am saying is that this worked for ME, and all it should be used for is a point of reference and by no means is it gospel or etched in stone.
Thanks Dean

kdvarmint
03-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Gotcha. Kevin.