Thread: Any secrets to improve the gun?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Any secrets to improve the gun?

I purchased an Axis II Precision in .223 about 2 months ago as my first bolt action gun. I've always run AR's and wanted to see if this could improve my overall skills, and it has come thru with shining colors.

I've added a JKL Bag Rider, an extended bolt handle from Glades, and a Desh Bolt lift kit, which really improved the action. I've got the knurled knobs from MDT to adjust the cheek riser as well. Running an 8 inch suppressor with a Vortex Venom 5x25 Scope and it sits on a Magpul Bipod. I'm not really impressed with the Magpul and intend to replace it, possibly with a UTG Big Bore unit.

Gun is a tack driver up to 200 yards, and I'm confident it will work just as well at longer ranges. It's a different style of shooting from my tactical AR experience and has helped me to integrate them into my skills.

My question, what "refinements" should I be looking at to make the gun even better?

Better trigger, mid to top tier scope.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    shoot it and shoot it often. it is easy to fall out of your groove and not shoot well.

Basic Member
    I'm retired and shoot a lot as I have a 100 yard range on my property. I also reload my own rounds, so keeping my skills sharp isn't a problem. MY guns have all been AR's up to this point and in that world, their are endless modifications we can make to our rifles. I am looking for info on aftermarket parts to make the gun even better. At the ranges I will normally shoot, up to 400 yards, I'm confident the barrel is more than sufficient. Are their aftermarket upgrades to the bolt system I should be looking at?

The AccuTrigger assembly seems to be fine after making adjustments. Vortex scope is more than adequate as well.

It's possible these upgrades don't exist for the Savage, but I at least wanted to ask.

Basic Member
    When you start to stretch it out, set out a 4" gong at 400 yards and have some fun!

Basic Member
    Looking forward to shooting longer distances. Until then, I'm focusing on the 5 shots all inside a 3 inch circle. Always seems to be a flyer in there to spoil it.