This may take a while....or not :) The original goal was to build a long range cast bullet gun, either .30-06 or .308 with a slower twist (1-13 or 1-14). So I started looking.

Initially I wanted to buy an old Mauser action, refinish/rebuild, stock, rebarrel, etc. But, they are not that common anymore and most look like they have spent a century in a flooded basement. If I had my old machine shop I'd have gone that route anyway, but, not now. Then I started looking for other actions. Rem 700's and std Savage actions were close to or over $500. I was leaning toward one of the Rem 700's from PTG. A Shilen barrel would be added.

Then I stumbled on the Brownell's website and saw their Howa barreled actions. They had some on sale a while back for just under $400. So, I kinda waffled. They had a heavy barrel in 6.5CM (24"). Changed plan. I'd go ahead and build it as a 6.5 and when I shoot it out, then get the cast barrel. Was also curious about the 'hype' about Howa so figured I'd try this as is, stock trigger and all.

The stock I wanted to do the fine tuning on it and also wanted a walnut stock, not laminated. I will put in pillars and bed it. I chose the Richard's Microfit Benchmark. Also paid a bit more for better figured wood.

While I was waiting on the stock I was looking for a scope. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on one (like a NightForce). One day I spotted a Burris XTR FClass scope on optics planet on clearance. I snagged it up. It is now on my 6BR and the Vortex PST (5-25x50) will go on this build.

So that's the story. Will post pics as I go. Most of this will simply be a stock finish thread since the barreled action really doesn't need much of anything.