Thread: 110 Predator vs 110 high country in 6.5 CM

110 Predator vs 110 high country in 6.5 CM

New to the forum, but have experience with savage rifles and like the ones I have.

Quick back story. 2022 my son went on our first PD hunt in SD. It was actually 3 dads and 3 senior high school sons who wanted to do a hunting trip vs a senior trip.
    My son and I took 2 guns each. I took a seekins precision AR in 224 Valkyrie which was a excellent sub MOA shooter. A ruger 77 VT in 223 which was also a sub MOA shooter. My son took a Custom built AR in 223 Wylde and his beloved 17 WSM savage B mag (.5 MOA gun). Its a tack driver.

Fast fwd to today, we leave in a month for a 2nd PD hunt in SD with our same group. I wanted to build on a the advantages of the 224 Valkyrie and bought a Franchi Momentum Eliite Varmint gun and sold my Ruger 77 VT. Well after 2 months of premium factory loads and hand load trials, this Franchi sucks.

I am now scrambling for a 2nd gun to take. I have the opportunity to buy this weekend either a 110 Predator in 6.5CM or a 110 High Country in 6.5CM I like the 24" heavy fluted barrel in the Predator. The HC has a 22" spiral fluted barrel but its only a medium contour and I've seen reviews where it heats up really quick. We use chamber chillers, so maybe its a non issue? The 2 rifles are $30 different in price. The HC is on clearance.

Besides barrel contour, barrel length and the HC having Savages PVD coating, are these 2 rifles equal? I'm pulling my Vortex Viper PSTII 5x25X50 FFP scope off the Franchi to put on this new gun.

Looking for opinions on which one to purchase.

Also, is there a 1 piece rail that works best for either of these guns? Obvioulsy if I go with the HC, I won't find anything that matches the finish. Warne or Leopold, or ??. Looking for a 20 MOA rail.

Also, what muzzle brake do people put on these 110's? We run a VG6 on the Wylde and a MDT comp on the 224 Seekins and both work well.

Thanks for your time
    Todd

Basic Member
    I would go with the High Country. Just personal preference, i don't have one. I have used mostly EGW rails on my savage rifles, but have used Nightforce, Leupold and Warne. No problems with any, so now i just get the EGW

Basic Member
    The Predator is not a heavy barrel, it's a light varmint contour, a little heavier than a heavy sporter. But it is heavier than the BC barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by DiRTY DOG View Post
    The Predator is not a heavy barrel, it's a light varmint contour, a little heavier than a heavy sporter. But it is heavier than the BC barrel.
    Just going by what Savage website says for barrel contour and they said Heavy for Predator. Is there some sort of chart out there (like for shotgun choke tube constrictions) that gives all the diameter of barrels and what they mean? Pencil, sporter, Heavy sporter, light varmint, target, heavy? That way I can bring my calipers and verify it

Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    I would go with the High Country. Just personal preference, i don't have one. I have used mostly EGW rails on my savage rifles, but have used Nightforce, Leupold and Warne. No problems with any, so now i just get the EGW
    Thanks!
    I did go look at the Predator today and while I liked it, I am concerned (even though its brand new), its a 2020 date produced gun. Still has the 6x48 scope base screws vs teh 8x40 Savage switched to in 2021. I found no rust on the gun anywhere and it still has all the tags, just not sure I want to buy a gun thats been setting on the shelf for 4 years.
    Going to see the HC tomorrow morning and will make a decision.