Thread: What is a Tack driver? I mean really?

Team Savage

What is a Tack driver? I mean really?

A tad bit of fun.

I hear Tack Driver all the time. So what is it?

I mean if its refers to a Thumb Tack the head is 0.4 inches. If its a tack that hold fabric for furniture or boots head is 0.25 or so. So which tack are they talking about? Hahaha

And how did it originate? Somebody betting someone their firearm could cowboy boot tack in a quick fire?

Bottomline I believe its a wives tail used for bragging how well you can shoot, has noting to do with "my gun is a tack driver"

What say you??

Basic Member
    A tack drive is a small hammer with a pointed head about the size of the tack head. The one my father had was magmetic and could hold the tack. FWIW
    Quote Originally Posted by LDSILLS View Post
    A tad bit of fun.

I hear Tack Driver all the time. So what is it?

I mean if its refers to a Thumb Tack the head is 0.4 inches. If its a tack that hold fabric for furniture or boots head is 0.25 or so. So which tack are they talking about? Hahaha

And how did it originate? Somebody betting someone their firearm could cowboy boot tack in a quick fire?

Bottomline I believe its a wives tail used for bragging how well you can shoot, has noting to do with "my gun is a tack driver"

What say you??
    USAF Retired 1964-1987

At muzzleloader fun shoots or prize shoots a nail was placed on a log or tree trunk. The goal was to hit the nail head. A rifle, and operator, that could do that was a tack driver. Another target was an edge-on axe head. Goal was to split the round ball. I have seen this done at 25 yards with a flintlock.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Team Savage
    Hey epags; This is a Firearms website not a whats in your dads toolbox!! UGH!
    Get on subject darn it!
    "Hahahaha"
    Last edited by LDSILLS; 06-25-2024 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Having fun!

Colloquially I would say a tack driver would be defined as any firearm that consistently shoots better than average; meaning consistently shooting smaller groups than similarly configured firearms of a similar type. As for the definition of "small groups," like the term "tack driver" it's subject to personal interpretation based solely on personal experience, and expectations and the rifle at hand. For some a "small group" might be 2" at 100 yards; for others a "small group" might be 1/4" or less at 100 yards.

For example, I expect my varmint rifles with big high power scopes to consistently shoot 1/2 MOA or better @ 200 yards, but when it comes to my iron-sighted lever-action pistol caliber rifles I consider the one's that shoot sub 1.5" groups @ 100 yards with some consistency to be a "tack driver." Again, it's all relative...
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    ...For example, I expect my varmint rifles with big high power scopes to consistently shoot 1/2 MOA or better @ 200 yards, but when it comes to my iron-sighted lever-action pistol caliber rifles I consider the one's that shoot sub 1.5" groups @ 100 yards with some consistency to be a "tack driver." Again, it's all relative...
    Like I said lets have fun and if we poke at someone its like giving them crap at morning coffee!! The next day you give em crap back! HAHA!

To start the subject lets use Office Depot Brand Thumb Tack , 1/2 inch head, 5/16" length box of 100 as a standard tack. The head of the tack is 1/2 inch per Office Depot specifications. Thus in theory a rifleman would have to shoot at least 0.524 inches (AKA 1/2 MOA) be a true tack (thumb tack) driver.

Thus ...per your description ad in theory you can actually drive one at 200yds with your varmint rifle! However, I would say "one's that shoot sub 1.5" groups @ 100 yards" is not a tack driver as you are shooting 3 times the size of the tack. Even a 1 MOA or the size of a dollar coin is not a tack driver.

See where I am going??? ... after all this time, with thousands of great folks saying they have a tack driver do they really? What are they comparing it to? The shooting sport needs to define "tack driver". Just to make folks honest if anything. You see in my obscure thoughts, we as shooters are so anal about head space, lands, sorting brass, etc. Why don't we have a standard for what a TACK DRIVER is.

Here is my goofy definition:

TACK DRIVER: a rifle no matter the caliber, that, in the hands of a responsible rifleman and no matter the position of fire. Is capable of shooting a standard thumbtack head (1/2 Inch diameter) with an 85% confidence of repeatability for each bullet sent downrange. NOTE: range doesn't matter!