Thread: Model 12 FCV magazine issues

Model 12 FCV magazine issues

First, I have a Model 12 FCV in .223 with a factory magazine that does not strip the rounds from the magazine on occasion. Second the magazine is very hard to load as if the spring is too stiff. Are these common issues with the 12 FCV. The rifle is in excellent condition and has been fired very little since new. Except for the addition of a Bell and Carlson M40 stock the rifle is original and unmodified.

Make sure the action and the magazine are seated in the stock.

Slowly operate your bolt with a loaded magazine. Watch to see if the bolt catches on the rear of the cartridge. If so, then the cartridges are sitting high enough. If no you need to raise the cartridge by opening the lips of the magazine in the rear very slightly until the bolt pics the cartridge up.

If it picks up the cartridge then it fall below then you have a situation causing the cartridge to tilt up forcing the case head to fall below the bolt head. You might try to open the front of the lip some.

After looking at it closely you will see what needs to be done. Others may give you different guidance. Good luck Naughty
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Thanks. I will give it a try.

Basic Member
    Sounds like there's too much distance betweer the receiver and the magazine. The bedding/inletting needs correction.

I just put a B&C stock on a Savage, and the receiver sat too high in the stock. The receiver did not touch the aluminum bedding block. I had to free float the tang, and remove a ton of material from the barrel channel. After I removed that material, the receiver could sink down into the stock like it was supposed to and rest on the aluminum bedding block. Even then, the recoil lug required bedding because it didn't touch anything. I had a different B&C stock a decade ago that needed the same thing done to it.

I bet your receiver sits too high in the stock like mine did, and needs to sit lower on the aluminum bedding block in order for the mag to feed properly. The mag is too far away from the bottom of the receiver. Search my recent posts, I did a big write up with pics last week about bedding a B&C stock.

Basic Member
    That would be my guess as well. The magazine is held in place by two 'ledges' in the stock. If the receiver is not in the correct location then the magazine will not be aligned with the receiver.