Thread: rebarrel and cartridge change question

rebarrel and cartridge change question

I have a 1990 era 7mm rem mag savage 110. I cant stand the recoil and i want to change it to a hotrod 22cal; most likely a 22-243. 22CM/22-243AI are also options.
    Two things i dont know is:
    1) will the 7mm bolt face work with either a 6mmCM or .243w case?
    2) will the factory mag box handle these smaller cartridges and feed ok?
    3) bonus points on who makes pre-fit barrels in these calibers (yea right lol)

Basic Member
    Bolt head needs to be changed. Cheap and fast to do.

New magazine needed.

Barrel? Try NSS first. You'll probably have to wait for one to be made. If you are going to wait might want to order two since they won't last long. :)

You would need .473 bolt head, yours is the .532. Although you mentioned .22 cals
    You could look in a different direction with that bolt head and consider a 6.5 PRC to
    lighten the load on your shoulder and still cover most of the bases. As for the .22 cal ??
    Swap out bolt heads. and simply do a 22-250 or the newer .22 Creedmoor. Lot's of cases
    are more available for the Creedmoor at this time.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Team Savage

1) will the 7mm bolt face work with either a 6mmCM or .243w case?

No, either of those will require a 308 bolt face.

2) will the factory mag box handle these smaller cartridges and feed ok?

No, you will need a short action mag box.

3) bonus points on who makes pre-fit barrels in these calibers (yea right lol)[/QUOTE]

Several barrel manufacturers do, pick your favorite. E. Arthur Brown on the budget side, McGowen, X-Caliber, Shilen, Criterion and many more on the upper end. Northland Shooter Supply good place to start.

Savage produced long action 110s chambered for short action calibers in the mid to late 80s, good luck finding one. Honestly, you'd be better off getting a good used short action 10/11/12 for what you want to do than try to convert your long action magnum into a short action.

Btw, welcome to SavageShooters!

thanks for the replies!
    whats different in the mag box between long action and short action?

also, i want to get 3500fps from a 77gr TMK. will a 24" 22CM do that?

Basic Member
    I understand if you just want the fastest bullet out there, but, why? What are you doing that you need that much vel from a relatively heavy .22 bullet?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deer_hunter132 View Post
    thanks for the replies!

Shouldn't be an issue, but it all depends on the powder / brass combination used. I average 2489 fps with a 75gr Hornady ELD-M bullet using necked down Starline 6mm CM brass with H4350, using a 1-8 twist 20" long X-Caliber barrel on an ARC Nucleus action.
    Alpha and Peterson brass is thicker, and you can't get high velocities out of them without hitting high pressure's.

Barrel life can be pretty short with the 22 CM. Some have changed barrel's out with only 800 rounds shot, I have over 1k rounds out of my first barrel, and it still shoots great. But, groups are around twice the size as they were when the barrel was new.
    New-

Now-

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    Shouldn't be an issue, but it all depends on the powder / brass combination used. I average 2489 fps with a 75gr Hornady ELD-M bullet using necked down Starline 6mm CM brass with H4350, using a 1-8 twist 20" long X-Caliber barrel on an ARC Nucleus action.
    Alpha and Peterson brass is thicker, and you can't get high velocities out of them without hitting high pressure's.

Barrel life can be pretty short with the 22 CM. Some have changed barrel's out with only 800 rounds shot, I have over 1k rounds out of my first barrel, and it still shoots great. But, groups are around twice the size as they were when the barrel was new.
    New-

Now-
    was that supposed to be 3489fps?
    if so, from a 20", and h4350, then im golden.
    what barrel profile? would you change it to another profile if you were to do it over?

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I understand if you just want the fastest bullet out there, but, why? What are you doing that you need that much vel from a relatively heavy .22 bullet?
    well, i dont need it. want it really lol
    mainly, 100-800yd shooting with low recoil. i might not do it as the cost seems to be adding up quick, but the idea of a ok BC bullet at high speed makes for a very flat wind bucking low recoil monster.
    77tmk kills stuff at 1800+ fps, so really my .223 wylde is just fine at hunting distances i have here, but i cant help but want more .

i have a .243 and starline brass for it, and 6.5cm with LRP & SRP brass. cheap barrels so accuracy is ok for a hunting rig, but after using a saturn rifle cut .223 wylde barrel and getting sub 3/8 10 shot groups, i have the tight group bug too.

6.5cm is my limit on recoil honestly. i suck at tightly holding a rifle so if i shoot free recoil off a bipod and rear bag, im decent. free recoil on .243 is about my limit without being sore. i tried it with .308 and regretted it lol

the downside obviously is barrel life. i might shoot 100-200 and then only take it out on special occasions.

Basic Member
    800 yd is kind of a dividing line for me. Under that and .22's do ok, above that I like 6mm better. The recoil of a 103gn 6mm bullet is not that much different than a higher vel 77 or 80gn .22 bullet. FWIW, if you shoot out to 800 you might even want a 90gn .22. Again, getting up to 6mm weights. My best 600yd groups have been with 90gn 6mm bullets although they are just a tad smaller than my 105gn groups at that range.

If you are going after smaller groups at longer ranges the 6, 6.5 and 7 are better bets.

Personally I went to 6BR as a step up from a hot .223 loading and it hasn't let me down, even at a mediocre 2900fps. I also really don't like recoil much, especially if you are shooting a hunting weight rifle. I chose to not go for a higher vel due to barrel wear issues. Spending $500 (or more) every year on a new barrel is not what I wanted. My Shilen barrel is still accurate (at my skill level) after close to 2000 rounds. My next barrel will be another 6BR, but, maybe a Krieger/Bartlein/Brux/etc.

800 yd is kind of a dividing line for me. Under that and .22's do ok, above that I like 6mm better. The recoil of a 103gn 6mm bullet is not that much different than a higher vel 77 or 80gn .22 bullet. FWIW, if you shoot out to 800 you might even want a 90gn .22. Again, getting up to 6mm weights. My best 600yd groups have been with 90gn 6mm bullets although they are just a tad smaller than my 105gn groups at that range.

If you are going after smaller groups at longer ranges the 6, 6.5 and 7 are better bets.

Personally I went to 6BR as a step up from a hot .223 loading and it hasn't let me down, even at a mediocre 2900fps. I also really don't like recoil much, especially if you are shooting a hunting weight rifle. I chose to not go for a higher vel due to barrel wear issues. Spending $500 (or more) every year on a new barrel is not what I wanted. My Shilen barrel is still accurate (at my skill level) after close to 2000 rounds. My next barrel will be another 6BR, but, maybe a Krieger/Bartlein/Brux/etc.
    6BR, its a little slower than .243w correct?
    im trying to get the 108 berger elites to shoot out the .243w, i got 15rnds loaded to test. i went 20" on it and its only good for about 2800-2850. might just have to rebarrel it, idk.

side note: i loaded some 2.910" COAL .243 into the 7mm and wanted to see if it chambered correctly, and it did. would that mean i dont have to modify the factory magwell/box?

well, a 24" .243 does appear to be more useful. it drops more, but thats easier to compensate for than wind (i have zero wind training). Guess my hotrod 22cal quest stops here. No sense it spending a decent chunk for what i want to do when i have .243w stuff already. Recoil is negligible too, like you said.

so, buy a 24" .243w AR10 barrel or re-barrel the savage that has a choate stock & Rifle Basix trigger...

I have a .243 barrel on two long actions with no feed problems.

Basic Member
    .243 is an excellent round. I usually load the 6BR to 2850fps.

https://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html

FWIW, barrel twist (and vel) will determine how heavy a bullet you can shoot.

Windage is an art form, no matter what round you use. Sometimes I can handle it, sometimes I can't. This was a day I was doing OK :) Wind was about 10mph cross and I think it kicked up a little for shots 4 and 5. Cast bullets, 500yd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0uNMmw85cw

.243 is an excellent round. I usually load the 6BR to 2850fps.

https://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html

FWIW, barrel twist (and vel) will determine how heavy a bullet you can shoot.

Windage is an art form, no matter what round you use. Sometimes I can handle it, sometimes I can't. This was a day I was doing OK :) Wind was about 10mph cross and I think it kicked up a little for shots 4 and 5. Cast bullets, 500yd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0uNMmw85cw
    very nice! nothing wrong with that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I have a .243 barrel on two long actions with no feed problems.
    factory jobs or did you change calibers?

All factory barrels, one was .30-06 the other was .270, I used factory .243 barrel on both actions with no modification to the blind magazines, no problems.
    (I changed the barrels myself)

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    All factory barrels, one was .30-06 the other was .270, I used factory .243 barrel on both actions with no modification to the blind magazines, no problems. (I changed the barrels myself)
    That's good to hear. I went ahead and ordered the bolt head and because my action has the large firing pin, I had to get the firing pin and firing pin guide. After beating my head into a wall some more, I think I'm going to go 6.5cm instead of 243w. The 130 grain berger have a good BC and with a 24 inch barrel I can launch them at a decent velocity. The recoil really isn't that much more, and it should get better Barrel life, not that it really matters for the amount that I shoot.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by deer_hunter132 View Post
    Know you've made your decision and now going wth 6.5CM, but I got 3508fps with a 77gr Nosler CC in my 22Creed, 26" X-Caliber. Haven't played with it much since getting into casting.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Know you've made your decision and now going wth 6.5CM, but I got 3508fps with a 77gr Nosler CC in my 22Creed, 26" X-Caliber. Haven't played with it much since getting into casting.
    Which powder and how much? Leaning on it hard to get that or do you have 50+ fps left in it?
    I might get froggy one day lol
    Its a barrel swap away :D