Quote Originally Posted by CalhounRR View Post
A half octagon barrel would be an 1899C, and since they were made from 1899 thru 1917 it's perfectly correct for 1904. I would guess the stock is a later replacement. They didn't come with a cheek rise on the buttstock except for a VERY, VERY FEW that had a full out cheek piece. And those were all very fancy guns from what I've seen.

Would have had a 26" barrel as a standard, a crescent buttplate (now gone) tho a shotgun style flat buttplate could be ordered. The forearm should go all the way to the end of the octagon portion of the barrel, and end in a schnabel.

I'd definitely try shooting it after using some foaming bore cleaner to clean out the barrel. Never know, a lot of these old girls still shoot great!
Thank you. I kinda posted the "1899C / not right age" just to make sure. The one way to get good information on the internet is to post the wrong information... Well, that and I had no clue when I made the first post. The rest, I appreciate your confirmations.

The new furniture should arrive in a day or two. After inletting to fit and sanding I'll explore either traditional oil or offending the sensibilities with some shiny synthetic hard coat to finish. LOL. Probably oil finish, but...