Thread: 6mmBR Forrester full Length Resizing Die shoulder bump

Team Savage

6mmBR Forrester full Length Resizing Die shoulder bump

I learned something yesterday, My Brand New Forster full length resizing die will not bump the shoulder of my 6BR Norma Cases. (not annealed) BTW: I know this as I use a LE Wilson Case Depth Micrometer and Wilson 6BR case gauge for measuring bump.

No wonder Forrester sells a Bushing Bump Neck Sizing Kit. Well another 100 dollars was spent! And another die to fiddle with during case preps!

My first instinct was to buy Redding should of stuck with it!

Basic Member
    I set my headspace making sure the formed cases would work, and they do. But, the NoGo gauge is just barely there.

Not a big deal to me as I like a 'just barely fits' setup. The bolt closes with just a hint of resistance. I don't measure the cases or the bump. Just feel where the bolt closes, set the die and go.

Team Savage
    As you know I a bit anal when it comes to shooting. I know for a fact that head space on cases control bullet seating depth. Thus I want to make sure my head space is where it needs to be. I am very disappointed that I have a FL die and I cannot bump the shoulder. In fact Forester should be up front and tell you that. I know as its all over the net about FL dies from forester and their inability of shoulder bump. I will try some different case holders on my press and see if I can use the die and bump with those.

If I cannot we'll see how well Forster Bushing Bump Neck Sizing Kit will work. I am still thinking I may just may sell all the Forrester stuff and buy a different single use die.

Basic Member
    Have you checked your die with a headspace gauge?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Have you checked your die with a headspace gauge?
    No I didn't, but I will today and post results. Thank you.

Team Savage
    I found this after digging on the net. Seems like its not unusual for Forster dies in 6mm BR. But there is a soultion and here is what I found

" May 23, 2021

I had the same issue with a Forster 6BR full-length sizer in my Co-ax press and I returned it to them for neck honing. They ground off the end of the die when they honed the neck and I had no issues after that.

NOTE: So you all know, I am just trying out the new Forster Dies set. The three cases have not been fire formed. These three are new Norma virgin cases. I am just resizing the new cases and then trying to bump the shoulder.

Basic Member
    The only thing I do to any new brass is run the necks over the expander. I don't even really pay much attention to the groups on first firing as I know they will change after that.

Basic Member
    Had same issue with rcbs 22/250 dies. Machinist/ gunsmith buddy put a .473 shell holder on his surface grinder and fixed me up. No clue how much he took off.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    The only thing I do to any new brass is run the necks over the expander. I don't even really pay much attention to the groups on first firing as I know they will change after that.
    Agree...I had some free time and the gun room is pretty nice when its 88% humidity and 92! I just wanted to see if I could bump the shoulder after a full length resize.
    BTW we think alike I dont worry about groups until I have two firings. I have found with one firing you still have quite a bit of spring back. Two seems to stabilize the metal. But to be honest each brand and batch is different, so is annealing!